Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Group chat support in 1.18

Help
Vadi
2014-01-27
2014-06-03
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Vadi
    Vadi
    2014-01-27

Hi,

I've never been able to figure out how to initiate a group chat in Pidgin-SIPE - so far I've only been able to join already-created ones via an invitation.

Today after upgrading to 1.18 (verified by 'Version: 1.18.0' in Pidgin Plug-in Information) that this is included in the changelog: 'Feature #69: Add UI support for (group) chats (Michael Lamb)'. I took a look at feature 69 but it seems to be unrelated to group chats. I found another one, 54, which mentions group chats - but that does not imply the feature is finished.

I poked about the UI again but could not still work out how to create a chat - the 'URI' field is not explained and a few combinations I tried don't work.

So the question is, how to start a group chat in Pidgin-SIPE and what does 1.18 bring in that regard?

• Stefan Becker
    Stefan Becker
    2014-01-28

The [MS-XCCOSIP] protocol does not have any support to create channels. So the only thing a client can do is searching for channels or joining a channel.

• Vadi
    Vadi
    2014-02-03

Got it, thanks.

• Rich Cruz
    Rich Cruz
    2014-02-28

didn't want to create another topic since the topic title covers what I want... for Adium where is the UI for joining a persistent chat room. I "thought" it was file, join Group chat. but no matter what I enter in and whatever field.. can't join a room.. and I do have the URI: info needed for the room.. ma-chan://domain(blah)/uuid(blah).. just where to enter this info.. or maybe I have the wrong syntax.. thanks.

Last edit: Rich Cruz 2014-02-28
  • Stefan Becker
    Stefan Becker
    2014-03-01

What does the debug log say when you use this menu? If it is a group chat it should have messages along the lines of

sipe: sipe_purple_chat_join: uri '....'
    sipe: sipe_core_groupchat_join: ...

You should also check if you actually have group chat enabled in your installation and that SIPE successfully set up the group chat feature, i.e. the debug log should not contain messages like the following:

sipe: can't connect to group chat server!
    sipe: no group chat server found.
    sipe: disabling group chat feature.

• Rich Cruz
    Rich Cruz
    2014-03-03

ahhhh looking at the debug log.. (should have looked at that first) states trying to create a room... "Creating chatWithName:ma-chan://Blah/Blah onAccount:<ESPurpleSIPEAccount:..etc" Then gives error "chatWithName:ma-chan://Blah/Blah identifer (null) existing

• Stefan Becker
      Stefan Becker
      2014-03-03

No idea, looks like it fails already in Adium code?

• Rich Cruz
    Rich Cruz
    2014-03-03

so is that the right UI for Adium?? as I said, from the look of it.. instead of joining a chat room.. its trying to create one and failing. And I only know how to look at ADIUM debug log is there another way to look at a debug log for SIPE debugging?

• Stefan Becker
      Stefan Becker
      2014-03-04

Run the code under the XCode debugger and set a breakpoint at ESSIPELibpurpleServicePlugin.m::joinChatWithAccount?

I can't really help further, because I'm no expert on the call flows on the Adium adaptor.

• Rich Cruz
    Rich Cruz
    2014-03-03

here is my full log from when I tried to connect

Attachments
  • Rich Cruz
    Rich Cruz
    2014-03-04

ok thanks, I guess just have to wait til this gets sorted out.. Or are you saying I need to go to Adium forums for more help or submit bug report here..

Last edit: Rich Cruz 2014-03-04
    • Stefan Becker
      Stefan Becker
      2014-03-04

No, they will send you back here, because you mentioned "SIPE"...

• Rich Cruz
        Rich Cruz
        2014-03-04

ok thanks.. so should I submit a something in the bug section.. or just leave it here how it is?

• Stefan Becker
          Stefan Becker
          2014-03-05

It doesn't make any sense to report a bug if you haven't verified with the debugger that something is wrong in SIPE.

From the information provided I can only say (a) you are trying to use the wrong menu entry, or (b) the menu action doesn't pass the information to SIPE.

• Rich Cruz
    Rich Cruz
    2014-03-06

ok that sounds fine, so do you know what the correct menu to use in Adium? its the only menu option that makes sense.

• KwikSilvr
    KwikSilvr
    2014-03-07

I think thats the right menu to use. That adium menu functionality was only added in the last release (1.18.0). My guess is that perhaps it isnt plumbed right.

• Rich Cruz
    Rich Cruz
    2014-03-11

yah what I was thinking but.. I'm not that savy with the debugger to verify that the plumbing is wrong so then I can submit a bug... no one else uses this with Adium??

• Stefan Becker
    Stefan Becker
    2014-03-13

I'm a little stymied by what the debugger tells me: I put a break point into sipe_purple_chat_join() and it got never triggered when I tried the menu.

Then to check if our plumbing is correct I added an IRC account to compare. And guess what: now the break point gets hit. Even after I removed the IRC account and deleted all Adium user data. I have no clue why this happens, but it seems I can't roll back Adium to a state where the break point inside the SIPE plugin isn't hit...

Anyway: the real problem why joining a group chat doesn't work is that SIPE looks for a "uri" attribute. SIPE returns "uri" as mandatory chat information field in sipe_purple_chat_info(). But Adium only calls this function AFTER the user has hit Join on the dialog. It does not set "uri" attribute when calling sipe_purple_chat_join() and therefore SIPE can't join groupchat channels.

• Stefan Becker
    Stefan Becker
    2014-03-13

SIPEAdiumPlugin UI for group chat fixed in commit 081112e.

Please make sure to checkout from branch mob and not from fixxer.

Please make sure to set a break point at sipe_purple_chat_join() to verify that the group chat code is actually called. I have not been able to determine why it is sometimes called and sometimes not.

• Stefan Becker
    Stefan Becker
    2014-03-14

Rich: please make sure to test this. I don't have any account where Group Chat is available, so I can only test that the menu triggers the correct code in SIPE core, but not if joining the group actually works.

• Rich Cruz
      Rich Cruz
      2014-03-26

great thanks for the update... can you point me to the right docs to recompile the code for the commit.. not familiar with it but willing to try.

• Stefan Becker
    Stefan Becker
    2014-03-26

Get the code from git. Please make sure to checkout the mob branch, otherwise you won't get the latest code.

Compilation instructions are in src/adium/README.Adium

• Stefan Becker
      Stefan Becker
      2014-03-28

Ping? Your feedback is required.

• Stefan Becker
      Stefan Becker
      2014-04-01

Ping? Your feedback is required.

• Rich Cruz
    Rich Cruz
    2014-04-01

hello sorry was out sick for a few days at work.. i'm back and will try this week to build. unless you can build it for me really quick.. and I can test

Last edit: Rich Cruz 2014-04-01
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)