Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

dialpad to initiate external calls

Help
2013-02-04
2013-11-21
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Marcus Moeller
    Marcus Moeller
    2013-02-04

Hi all,

Our Lync server supports dial-out calls, but I have not found a way to initiate one in Pidgin.

Is there something like a dialpad available?

Greets
    Marcus

• Anonymous
    2013-02-27

Hi,

Same thing for me. Is there a way to make dial-out calls ?

Regards

Pat

• Stefan Becker
    Stefan Becker
    2013-02-27

As far as I understand Pidgin UI only supports audio/video calls to buddies or IM partners, i.e. the UI doesn't have a dial pad.

SIPE is a protocol plugin and therefore does not have access to the UI. You would need to raise an enhancement request to the Pidgin project.

• Anonymous
    2013-02-27

Thanks for your answer.

Just  my "beotian" point of view : Is it possible to create a buddy associated to a phone number ? I mean, for instance , if the phone number of my pizza deliveryman is 0011223344, can I create a buddy 0011223344@foo.bar or something ?

• Stefan Becker
    Stefan Becker
    2013-02-27

Probably not, because this buddy wouldn't have any phone numbers associated with it as it doesn't exist.

BTW: try searching for "Pidgin Dial Pad" and you will see that Google Voice users have the same problem with Pidgin.

• Anonymous
    2013-02-28

I saw that Google Voice users have the same problem. Maybe I did not search enough, but I did not find in Pidgin web site why this feature is not implemented. Do you know if it's only because no one request it, or because there is a huge technical/license problem behind ? From a pidgin-sipe point of view, would it be complicated to add the dial out feature if the main pidgin project provides a dial-pad ?

Anyway, thanks for your time.

• Stefan Becker
    Stefan Becker
    2013-02-28

It wouldn't probably not be a big problem. But I think Jakub is the better person to answer that…

• Anonymous
    2013-03-01

Please Jakub, your personal point of view would be greatly appreciated on this subject  And I would be ready to test a dial-out feature, anyway it could be implemented : entry in menu, pipe where to push a number, environmental variables, telepathy ;)
      You would make things really easier for people like me, working on a GNU/Linux workstation, in a company where Lync is the only choice. You could be that man Jakub ;)

Jakub, Stefan, thanks for your involvement in piggin-sipe project.

• pbouchand
    pbouchand
    2013-04-04

Thanks Marcus.

• Jakub Adam
    Jakub Adam
    2013-04-05

Hi,

some time ago I've tried to implement it, tested in our company network, however the call didn't work and I've put that feature aside.

For your amusement I've pushed that change into git so please try it and post here your debug logs.

It would be very helpful if you could get a log of a successful call from original Lync/Communicator client.

To try it in Pidgin, go to Accounts->your SIPE account->Call a phone number... and write it down.

• pbouchand
      pbouchand
      2013-04-10

My company has just enabled the dial-out ability and using your patch, I'm able to call any numbers. Thanks a lot !

Do you still need debug logs ?

• Jakub Adam
        Jakub Adam
        2013-04-15

Hi,

good to know it works, then I can suspect the patch didn't work for me because our company still uses OCS2007.

I think your logs wouldn't show anything new so I don't need them anymore.

• pbouchand
    pbouchand
    2013-04-29

Another question:
    Using Lync window client, the phone number is shown. Using pidgin-sipe, it is hidden. Any ideas about how to show it ?

• Jakub Adam
      Jakub Adam
      2013-05-12

Can you please be more specific with what you mean by "phone number is hidden"? When you receive a call, you don't see the phone number in the popup window? If so, what do you see then?

Assuming that's what you mean, I think it won't be hard to fix. Attach here or send me a log of successful incoming call and I'll have a look when I have some time.

• pbouchand
    pbouchand
    2013-05-12

Sorry for having been imprecise. I'm able to see the phone number when someone is calling me, but MY phone number is not shown on the phone of the people when I call.

• Jakub Adam
      Jakub Adam
      2013-05-13

I understand. Can you please send me both Pidgin-Lync and Lync-Lync outgoing call logs?

• pbouchand
        pbouchand
        2013-05-21

About Lync-Lync outgoing call logs, how should I capture them ? With wireshark ?

• Jakub Adam
          Jakub Adam
          2013-05-22

Please see links at our wiki for how to enable tracing in Lync client.

Sadly Wireshark is useless for this, unless you have access to a private key of your Lync server to decrypt the SSL communication :)

• pbouchand
    pbouchand
    2013-05-22

I sent you two log files yesterday. Did you receive it ? Are they usable ?

• Jakub Adam
      Jakub Adam
      2013-05-25

I didn't receive anything. I've already tried writing you a mail, but so far without answer. Please resend the logs to jakub dot adam at ktknet dot cz.

• pbouchand
    pbouchand
    2013-05-27

I have sent them again. Is it ok ?

• Jakub Adam
      Jakub Adam
      2013-05-31

I've made some changes with a help of your logs. Can you please try the latest git HEAD if a phone number is displayed now?

• pbouchand
    pbouchand
    2013-06-03

I have tried the head of the mob branch but I'm not able to do a call (even a test one) any more. I have sent you the logs.

Thanks.

• pbouchand
    pbouchand
    2013-06-03

The latest commit on mob branch fixed the problem. Now the outgoing number is displayed.

Thanks a lot Jakub !

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)