Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Empty user list and when I manually add a user is always offline

Help
Edenshaw
2014-05-30
2014-06-04
  • Edenshaw
    Edenshaw
    2014-05-30

Hi,

I've installed and configured Pidgin on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (trusty) x64 along with the Sipe plugin (1.18.1) and these settings:

Advanced Tab

Connection Type: SSL/TLS
         User Agent: UCCAPI/15.0.4420.1017 OC/15.0.4420.1017 (Microsoft Lync)
         Authentication Scheme: TLS-DSK
         Email Services URL: https://outlook.office365.com/ews/exchange.amsx

I can successfully connect to my account, but I get an empty list of contacts :(

Because of this, I decided to add a buddy manually but this user is always offline (although I know it's online (I know you are ¬¬)).

This is the snippet code of my log:

Log File of Sipe

From the log it seems that it's trying to get the list of users from the auto-discover EWS URL, but since I'm explicitly defining the EWS URL in the Email Services URL field, don't know why is not skipping the auto-discover validation.

I've also tried to remove the attribute of the field Email Services URL and re-enable the account (re-connect) but no luck.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edit: Edenshaw 2014-05-30
  • Stefan Becker
    Stefan Becker
    2014-05-31

You encountered two different problems:

1. for some Office 365 accounts M$ seems to have changed the autodiscover XML node from EXCH to EXPR (express?). Support for that has been added in git commit 92ecf88.

2. UCS was simply ignoring the email URL specified by the user and triggered the EWS autodiscover process anyway. This is fixed in git commit 77c6807.

• Edenshaw
    Edenshaw
    2014-06-03

Thanks a lot Stefan! I'll compile it and let you know how it went.

Rgds.

• Edenshaw
    Edenshaw
    2014-06-03

Eureka!

It worked like a charm!

I compiled it from source (from the latest commit you told me) and now I can see all my buddies and their status. (I had to remove the Email Services URL).

Thanks again Stefan.

Regards.

Last edit: Edenshaw 2014-06-03
  • Edenshaw
    Edenshaw
    2014-06-03

For those who want to try it, here are the steps I follow (any feedback is welcome) in Ubuntu 14.04:

Note: I use OpenSSL instead of NSS. I install the lib to enable Kerberos auth.

First command will uninstall the current sipe version

sudo apt-get remove pidgin-sipe

wget http://repo.or.cz/w/siplcs.git/snapshot/77c680716e095cc3a5d1b1d6f070dcefa1d75ad8.zip

cd (path where the **siplcs** folder is located)

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pidgin-developers/ppa

sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/pidgin-developers/ppa/ubuntu trusty main"

sudo apt-get install libpurple-dev libtool intltool libtool libglib2.0-dev libxml2-dev libgmime-2.6-dev libssl-dev libkrb5-dev libnice-dev libgstreamer0.10-dev

chmod u+x git-build.sh

./git-build.sh --prefix=/usr

sudo make install

pidgin -d ~/debug.log

The last line will allow you to run Pidgin in debug mode in order for you to see any information related to Sipe.

Regards.

Last edit: Edenshaw 2014-06-04
    • Stefan Becker
      Stefan Becker
      2014-06-03

Why do you run configure and make again? Why not simply:

$ ./git-build.sh --prefix=/usr
      $ sudo make install

• Edenshaw
    Edenshaw
    2014-06-04

Thanks Stefan, I've just edited my post.

Rgds.