Prometheus's connection to linux?

Gareth
2003-02-11
2003-05-13
  • Gareth
    Gareth
    2003-02-11

hello all!

just wondering what peoples thoughts are on the linux underbelly of Prometheus?

from my understanding prometheus is a new o/s based on linux not a linux distrobution (or is it looking to be lsb compatable?)

my reason for asking is the last potential logo has a lil' tux on it and i think that if we continue the "think osx for intel" attitude then we should stand proud knowing we have a stable, low bloat, easy to use os based on proven linux technology and ride off someone elses reputation.

i'd like to think that prometheus is the bridge between osx and linux i spose.

bah... i've just realised im rambling so ill leave it here. ill make more sense when i respond to your posts

Gareth

• Chad Hardin
      Chad Hardin
      2003-03-06

Prometheus uses linux because it is the best opensource kernel available for desktop usage, simple as that.  linux is maturing rapidly and is getting all kinds of good drivers every day, it's good stuff.

I don't know about Prometheus being a bridge to Os X.  I think most people are interested in it because they love the OS X style of user interface.  Most people realize the KDE and GNOME have very awkward user interfaces (for the average user) and would like to see something that is easy to use.

KDE and GNOME have the same problem that Windows has:  The whole dam system is a mysterious black box which can be broken very easilly.  That is why they all have "Start" menus.  Without them, the average user would not be able to use the system.

It is much more elegant to simply double click the app from the finder.  Installing and removing apps is much easier.  Plus the user has a direct understanding of the purpose of the file system.

Chad

• Speaking of Apps, what will be in the first release?

• Chad Hardin
        Chad Hardin
        2003-03-09

All GNUstep apps available will be in there!

Check out www.gnustep.net for an (almost) complete list.

• Very nice. I'm available to do testing for Prometheus. once there is an iso that is. I have a spare machine that I am putting togeather, so I can do more testing. also, are there any plans for other architectures? I have an old sparcstation 10 sitting idle, so I might be able to use that as a build machine. let me know

• Chad Hardin
        Chad Hardin
        2003-03-10

Well, there is the old iso, you can try that if you wish, but don't expect a whole lot.

I'm very open to ports.  I would like to nail down the x86 version first however.

I probably would not do an SparcStation port though, they are just too old.  I know, I've used suns for many years at work.  Right now I am happy to say i use an Ultra 10 on a daily basis.  I would be inclined to do a ultrasparc port if anything.

I think the main emphasis will always be x86, because it is cheap hardware.  After all, if youcan afford the high priced hardware, why not just get a dual G4 and be happy?

As far as testing, please tell me what the specs of your test system will be.  I'm prmarily interested in CPU, video, and whether it is IDE and/or SCSI.

Thanks!
        Chad

• I just came across this project and are wondering what your opinions are about my project "myPDA".

myPDA is planned to be a Linux&GNUstep based PDA user interface, intended to originally run on the Sharp Zaurus platform with Zaurus Xfree86 (as GNUstep uses X11). There is also mGstep out there being a small footprint "mini"-GNUstep Foundation&AppKit library.

A little more info is avaliable through:

http://www.dsitri.de/php/projects/project.php?project=myPDA

Best regards,
          Nikolaus

• test system specs? here you go:
      Celeron 500
      SiS 620 video w/8 Megs shared ram
      256 RAM (248 usable due to shared vidram)
      hp cdburner
      generic idecdrom
      promise ata100 raidcard
      8.4 gb seagate
      20 gb maxtor
      19 in mon up to 1600x1200
      2 ethernet cards, soon to be changed to 1
      anything else?

• Chad Hardin
        Chad Hardin
        2003-03-11

test system specs? here you go:
        Celeron 500 - (Good, need a PProor above (no AMD K6))

SiS 620 video w/8 Megs shared ram (i'll check into this!)

256 RAM (248 usable due to shared vidram) (more than enough)

hp cdburner - ok

generic idecdrom - no prob

promise ata100 raidcard -BINGO!  Your help will be greatly appreciated because you have this!

8.4 gb seagate
        20 gb maxtor
        (I'd like to know, How do you have RAID setup with this config?)

19 in mon up to 1600x1200 k

2 ethernet cards, soon to be changed to 1
        Will you feel the need to have 2 eth cards on your desktop system?  I would like to offer more than simple one ethernet configs.

Do you have USB keyboard or mouse?

Thanks!

• I don't have RAID set up yet. I'm trying to get a second 20 gb disk. for now, the hard disks are on the same bus on the card for ata100 speed, while the two cdrom's are using the onboard ata33. I do not have a usb keyboard, though I do have a usb mouse. I'm going to set up w/ the old iso tomorrow and start cvs-ing up to the current. what do you use as a compile system(distro wise)?

• Chad Hardin
        Chad Hardin
        2003-03-12

for now, the hard disks are on the same bus on the card for ata100 speed, while the two cdrom's are using the onboard ata33.

-This will be inetereting because our kernel will be heavily modularized.  Remember, the kernel won't even have IDE drivers built in.

I do not have a usb keyboard, though I do have a usb mouse.

-Cool.

I'm going to set up w/ the old iso tomorrow.

-Dont' bother, really.  The old iso has problems compiling stuff.  you'd be better off (for now) installing a mainstream distro such as RedHat or whatever and cvsing and building from that.

what do you use as a compile system(distro wise)?       

-I was using a modified gentoo install.  However, since I switched to the new vmware beta it does not work so well.  I am currently building off RedHat 8.

• ok, will do. Red Hat 8 works for me. btw, email for me is jcutietta @ yahoo.com  (yea, remove the spaces[sticks tongue out at spam bots])