Here is a brief summary of all the actions I took based on your numerous suggestions last night. Thank you so much - you guys are amazing!!!
1) git commit 26be4eb of libsigrok fixed the segfault
(if you had a bug tracking system you could close that now - sorry,
couldn't resist :-)
2) AX clone works for Joel on current commit -
he can officially fob me off now :-)
3) fx2lafw-cwav-usbeesx.fw built with sdcc 3.10 by Joel
(vs the one built by me using sdcc 2.9.0)
made no difference in outcome (the files diff, however!)
4) uwe_ also has a USBee SX, which works fine for him.
His bcdDevice is 16.b5 - mine is 4.23
5) I have taken an image of the PCB of my device.
What is the best way to get it to you (it is 9 MB)?
6) I installed sigrok on a different PC (Kubuntu 12.04 32-bit) - same result
7) Tried to up #define MAX_RENUM_DELAY_MS 3000 in hardware/fx2lafw/fx2lafw.h
a) this header file is in include/ in my installation, not in hw/
b) this header file does not contain a #define MAX_RENUM_DELAY_MS
in fact, I did a grep on the whole directory tree obtained from
there was no MAX_RENUM_DELAY_MS anywhere -
am I using a wrong version???
Thanks again for all your help!!!!!!!!!!