2.8.2 Won't start

Mike K
  • Mike K
    Mike K

I just downloaded Evolution 2.6.2 for Windows for the first time after it was mentioned in a PC World newsletter. When that didn't work I searched for the latest version and found 2.8.2 on SourceForge. On both, it looks like it has installed, but when when I click on the startment shortcut

I downloaded the documents but the only file I found only refers to Linux, which would probably be ok if I could just get the Windows version to run...

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• datadoit

Same problem here.  Downloaded and installed msi version 2.8.2 onto WinXP SP2.  Go to Launch Evolution, the DOS command flashes, then nothing.

Looked at the Task Manager and didn't notice anything Evolution running.

On this machine (HP Pavilion dv8000) also have Oo2 (not running), and WAMP (running), if that means anything.

• Mike K
        Mike K

Yes this was exactly my experience. Flaxh of Dos Command window and then nothing.

I'd really like to be able to propose an alternative to Outlook, expecially a Novell alternative since, for now at least, we are using a Netware cluster for our file server.

• vestam

On my XP environment the DOS window flashes immediately and after that it takes really long time, several minutes before suddenly Evolution starts.

• Same problem here. Great Idea and much needed. I hope someone figures out how to make it work under Windows XP, and Since Microsoft will no longer sell XP at the end of the year... Vista...

• It seems to be a permission issue on the files in your home directory. See this thread.

I changed the permissions using the MS tool XCACLS and it all works now. eg.

XCACLS c:\documents and Settings\username\filename /E /G Username:F

You can probably do it just with file properties in XP pro. I've got XP home on this machine.