Newbie question about Evolution

eric
2007-07-31
2013-04-11
  • eric
    eric
    2007-07-31

I've just started a new job where Outlook is used, so people can access one another's calendars.  I am mostly a Linux user; I use Windows when I have to, and then mostly open source apps (Mozilla, OpenOffice, etc.).

I want to use Evolution instead of Outlook (I've never used either before).  My questions are: Can I interoperate with Outlook users on this collaborative calendar stuff if I use Evolution on Linux?  Do the two programs--Evolution and Outlook--really work together?  Am I better off with Evolution on Windows, rather than Linux?

Thanks,
    -Eric

• Eric,

Short answer, yes.  Using Evolution on Linux allows you to talk to Exchange Servers like an Outlook client.  You may have to log in to both your mail and calendar separately, though.

Evolution on Windows: that depends on how your work set up their Exchange server(s).  My work only allows access via HTTPS, which is a problem for Evolution on Windows (one of the libraries needs to be compile with SSL support but wasn't).  I have not had a chance to build it myself so I'm kind of stuck using Outlook.  I've checked the forums and, though it's been requested, the powers that be (release) have not had a chance to fufill the requests.

Regards.

• eric
        eric
        2007-07-31

Thanks, Peter.

Seems like the better platform for Evolution is Linux.  Have I misunderstood you?

-Eric

• Eric,

Again, that depends.  If your company <b><i>only</i></b> allows HTTPS access to your Exchange Server: yes, for the reasons mentioned.  If they allow HTTP access, maybe not; you could provide valuable feedback to those who are porting/maintaining Evolution to Windows that would allow us all a better Evolution product on Windows.

Regards.

• eric
            eric
            2007-08-02

Thanks again, Peter.  I'll post here if there's anything interesting to report.  -E.R.