No GUI

fattmoley
2006-07-18
2013-04-11
  • fattmoley
    fattmoley
    2006-07-18

So, I've read through the threads and several people, including myself, are not getting the GUI to come up after an install.

It works on my home computer running XP Home SP2, but not on my work computer running XP Pro SP2.

A command prompt flashes with the following message:

C:\Program Files\Evolution>"C:\Program Files\Evolution\startx.exe" /b "C:\Program Files\Evolution\step2.cmd"

The processes evolution-2.6.exe and gconfd-2.exe are running, but nothing is happening.

I would really like to get this running and am more than willing to provide more information.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Jared
      Jared
      2006-07-21

I'm having the same problem on my work and home WinXP Pro SP2 machines. I have the same results on the current and previous versions. Installs fine, dll is there (could it be the wrong version?), and running Evolution results in a quick flash of a cmd window and no GUI. Task Manager shows evolution-2.6 running.

Any ideas?

• Andrew Rich
        Andrew Rich
        2006-07-21

I do get the full GUI, but it takes as much as four or five minutes on a 1GHz ThinkPad with 1GB RAM.  How long do you wait before killing the process?

• amavida
          amavida
          2006-07-22

I waited 20 minutes on a 1.6Ghz machine.

Lots of disk activity, a flash of a cmd window opening & thenclosing then a long pause more disk activity then nothing.

Task manager shows Evolution process is running but no gui at all.

I have the .dll mentioned on the web site, in fact there are six occurrecnces of it located in different places in the file system, *cough*

NO ANTIVIRUS software running.
          NO ANTISPYWARE software running.
          Factory default XP Home SP2 as from Acer.

.Net 2.0 redist package is only addition.

Windows Firewall enabled with default settings.

• Jared
      Jared
      2006-07-21

Well, the process is still running from when I posted last night. I don't think waiting is the problem here. I've got a AMD Athlon X2 4200 with 2GB RAM on this PC.