feature: compress ratio to be float number

Help
ole
2015-09-24
2015-09-29
  • ole

ole - 2015-09-24

Hi Igor!

I've been using the tool for comressing big amount of small xml files and a compression was about 100 times
    ! but when it gets even better i observe 0% compress ratio.

Is it very difficult to show at least 0.5% not a zero ) for high rate compressable data.

Thanks.

• VictorVG

VictorVG - 2015-09-27

I assume that you have accidentally ingested into the archive incompressible binary stream. For example alternate data stream NTFS. From your description you can see that you are faced with a phenomenon which can not explain to myself, but I can not give you something to tell because of the incompleteness of the picture described by you.

Let's look at what conditions, with what keys and compression mode and for which there is data. I think that the explanation would be simple enough, but because you do not accept it because subconsciously "That can not be, because there can never be!".

Last edit: VictorVG 2015-09-27
    • Shell

Shell - 2015-09-29

VictorVG, you have possibly misunderstood the topicstarter. A huge amount of text files is compressed extremely well, so the size of the archive may well be as low as 0.1% or so. However, 7-Zip (and many other archivers) round this number to 0%.

My suggestion: instead of floating-point number, 7-Zip could use an extra condition:
      sprintf(ratio ? "%u%%" : "less than 1%%",ratio);