Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

restarting a 7-zip compression

Help
2011-04-24
2012-12-07
  • Chuck Hursch
    Chuck Hursch
    2011-04-24

I haven't seen any way to restart a 7-zip compression after a crash.  For instance, if my 7-zip compression is in ultra mode and is going to take 6-12 hours to squish a big file, and at 9 hours in, a power outage occurs or the computer otherwise comes to a halt, it would be nice to be able to restart.  I would think that perhaps checkpoint files could be written to disk at regular, user-settable, intervals to restart from.  Consider it a suggestion if this feature doesn't exist.

• Chuck Hursch
    Chuck Hursch
    2012-08-18

Had a computer crash about an hour ago, big compression suddenly ends.  Several hours of CPU/time gone.  Output file is there, but can't do anything with it.  No resume flag, bah, humbug!  A restart flag would seem to be a useful, easily implementable feature, and I'm frankly quite astounded it hasn't been done.

• Chuck Hursch
    Chuck Hursch
    2012-08-18

Another ?:  Is anybody monitoring these threads?  Most of them seem to have little or no response.