Help with important 15GB archive

Help
2004-10-26
2012-12-07
  • I have a 15GB DV file which I need to archive.

Using 7zip's Ultra setting, it takes 15 hours to compress, and I have a file that will fit on 3 DVD-R's with 82.4 MB left (using RAR it wouldn't fit).

I wanted this to be a SFX for portability.  I was going to have a SFX 7zip file, and (since 7zip doesn't work with SFX volumes) then I would make a SFX RAR using the store method.

I made the 7zip SFX, and I get the error that it is not a valid Win32 application.  I can still open the file in 7zip manager and the archive is fine.  I understand that this is probably some limit Windows has on EXE files, so I just wanted to turn it back to a regular 7zip archive.

There is no option to convert an EXE back into a regular .7z file, so I used a file splitter to remove the first 75,776 bytes of the file.  Everything seems to be OK.  Is there anything wrong with this method?

Brett

• >Is there anything wrong with this method?
      I don't see why there should be.

Isn't the SFX just some code put infront of the actual 7z data? Because you can use "copy /b 7zS.sfx + archive.7z archive.exe" to create a SFX from a regular 7z file.

• That's the impression I got from reading this forum.

There was probably no reason for me to even make that post...  I pretty much figured it out as I was writing.  I just wanted to see if anybody had any brilliant tips.

• Better safe than sorry. :-)