version available that only does zip?

Help
2005-02-25
2012-12-07
  • danilocelic
    danilocelic
    2005-02-25

For the project that I'm hoping to use the command line verison of 7zip for, the 7za.exe file would be more than 10x larger than the files I'd be using for the rest of the project. If there were a zip only version (both PC and Mac hopefully), I'd assume that it would be  much smaller.

Is there a version available (command line preferrably)  that only does zip/unzip? Or even pointing me toward some directions that would allow me (actually a friend) to make something that would fit what I'm trying to do would be great.

Thanks

• Stepho
      Stepho
      2005-02-25

Among the Unix Utils port for Windows (http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/) you can find a zip command line (zip.exe) program called zip.exe to zip/unzip. It's size is 67KB.

• danilocelic
        danilocelic
        2005-02-25

Thanks, Stepho, I'll take a look at it to see if it will meet my needs.

• Igor Pavlov
      Igor Pavlov
      2005-02-25

You can make it.
      Open project file and remove files that you don't use.

• danilocelic
        danilocelic
        2005-02-26

The readme.txt says that you should use VS6. I have VS.NET will that matter much?

I haven't used it at all for anything, so any quick tips/links on building the resultant .EXE would b emost welcome.

• Igor Pavlov
          Igor Pavlov
          2005-02-26

You can use VS.NET

• danilocelic
      danilocelic
      2005-03-09

Igor,

I have played around a bit with VS.NET looking through the various projects in the 4.15 package and it appears that the project in:
      \7zip\Bundles\Alone\ is the one that matches what I'm trying to do. However, when I try to build the project, I get errors that some b2zip files are not present. I also tried the 4.14 package and I get the same errors.

Since what I'm trying to do wouldn't involve those files nayway, i go through and remove references to them and pull out the B2ZIP references as well.

When I can successfully build the project, it ends up at around 944Kb, I then keep removing the other compresion types and when I get to here it jsut contains the ZIP (at least I think that's all it contains) it still is over 700Kb, where the Command line version of 4.15 is at 511Kb.

Is there some setting that you are aware of I need to make to make the project smaller?

Based upon its name, I also tried the \7zip\UI\Console\  project, and when I built that project, it only handles doing 7z compression, and not ZIP.

Which project is it that I should use to create the command line version?

• Stepho
      Stepho
      2005-03-09

You can do several things to reduce the size of the executable :
      - make sure you don't compile for debug, or with profiling enabled
      - strip the exe of useless (using a program like strip.exe from mingw, I don't know if there's an equivalent for VS)
      - compress the exe using UPX or equivalent, but this will reduce only the size on the disc, not the size in memory.

hope it helps...

• danilocelic
        danilocelic
        2005-03-09

I'm a newbie to VS.NEt, so I wasn't aware of the things you have to turn off. I'll play with those settings and see what I come up with.

At this point in the game, I'm not so worried about the memory size, but rather the file size, so I'll also take a look at UPX to see if it'll furhter my goals.

Thanks so much for the tips, stepho!