Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Terminal Server 4.0 + context menu issues...

Help
2004-12-20
2012-12-07
  • I'd like to know if anyone else has tried to use 7-Zip on a Windows NT 4.0 Terminal Server (not W2K or W2003! in TSE mode.)

I'm faced with an odd problem where existing user's do NOT see any of the 7zip context menues. New Users can see them just fine... I've been through the registry and reproduced the HKCU\Software\7-zip\* keys & values identically. I also checked to make sure permissions weren't an issue with HKLM\Software\Classes\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\7-Zip
    It's value matches the ones on PCs where it works fine...

Ultimately my question is: Where else would Explorer be reading the Context menu options?

• It turns out that by adding the CLSID to the Approved Shell Extensions key solved this problem.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extension\Approved
      Value Name :{23170F69-40C1-278A-1000-000100020000}
      Value Content: 7-Zip
      Type: REG_SZ

This is a direct result of a Security Policy being enabled to only use approved shell extensions. (Was done using POLEDIT.)

Hope this helps others. Should the 7-zip installer check for this option? Or is this a per machine issue...