Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

multi-threading

Help
2005-02-28
2012-12-07
  • I use a pentiumIV with 2.8 gzh
    with XP service pack 2

Why is the multi-threading greyed out?

Can anybody help please.

• Stepho
      Stepho
      2005-02-28

Does your Pentium IV have the "Hyperthreading" feature ?

Actually, the multithread thing is only interesting if you have several processors. To divide the load between the 2 processors, so you can go faster.
      Multithreading on monoprocessor computer will not achieve better results, because the processing power is shared between the threads.

7-Zip can handle 2 processors if I remember well.
      The P4 HT, simulates two processors (I don't know how it works exactly), that's they can use the multithreading option of 7-Zip.

To know if you have a P4 HT, you can start a process requiring a lot of processing power (compression, seti@home,  or an infinite loop like a while(1); ).
      If you have a P4 HT, none of these processes will take more than 50% of CPU power unless it uses several threads (you can see that in the Task Manager).

If you're sure you have a P4 HT, then you probably have a configuration problem.

I have a P4 HT 2.8GHz at home, the multithread option is available. At the office, I have a Celeron 2.4GHz, and it's grayed out.

• Its a P4 2.8gzh
      How do I check if it has hyper threading or not?

Do you mean that there is a P4 2.8 with HT and another without HT?

Eugen.

• Stepho
      Stepho
      2005-03-01

> Do you mean that there is a P4 2.8 with HT and another without HT?
      Yes, I got this from a vendor web site:
      Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz Socket 478
      Intel Pentium 4 2.8A GHz Socket 478
      Intel Pentium 4 2.8C GHz HyperThreading
      Intel Pentium 4 2.8E GHz HyperThreading

> How do I check if it has hyper threading or not?
      That's what I tried to explained : with HT, a program who doesn't handle multiprocessors will not use more than 50% of CPU in the Windows task manager.
      Else, I think at boot time on the bios loading page, I have a specific P4 HT logo. I'll check tonight (GMT+1) if I remember (I read this forum at work only).

• Thank you. I read this forum at work also.

Gives me much information. And get to know many people

Eugen.

• Stepho
      Stepho
      2005-03-02

No problem.
      By the way, I've checked and the Pentium 4 logo I see at boot time has an additionnal small "HT" in the corner.

• Then mine is not a HT processer. Didn't know then when I bought it.

Oh well ... I'll just schedule to run at night when i'm not working.

Thanks for the help Stephane.

Regards, Eugen.

• if you have 2 cpu processes under task manger then you have ht, or use device manger to see if you have 2 cpu's listed if so you have HT.
      On another note if you do have Ht then goto intel site and look for a diagnostic util to see if ht is enabled on your system.
      You need a few things a bios that supports Ht, an operating system tghat supports it ie XP, a chipset that supports it, and the cpu.
      After running the test you need 3 passes, (ticks)
      if any or all are crossed out you do nto have ht, it may fail on the chipset even though your cpu is capable, but you still not have ht, cos the manufacturer of your mainboard cut the cost down by supplying the board with a value desktop chipset and hence rendered the performance of HT useless. Though intel take no responsibility for this as the chipset is oem and nothing to do with intel. That right, ok then keep your rubbish attitude i will buy amd 64 bit from now on. just thought i would point this out to anyone interested in buying intel with HT technology, especially the cpu,s in laptops etc. try b4 you buy, run the intel ht test on it if it fails don't buy