C Runtime Library

Ares
2004-12-28
2012-12-08
  • Ares
    Ares
    2004-12-28

I'm trying to make a portable version of 7-zip along with the Windows GUI.  Just something to carry around with me on my USB keychain drive.  Anyway it usually works when I copy the 7-zip folder from C:\Program Files\ to my USB drive - unless the computer does not have the C Runtime files.  I've tried looking on Microsoft's site but all I can find are the VB Runtime files.  7-zip will start up saying it needs MSVCP71.dll - if I copy that into the new 7-zip folder, it will just ask for more and eventually freeze.  So where can I get *all* of the C Runtime Files so I can extract them into the 7-zip folder?  Thanks!

-Ares

• Igor Pavlov
      Igor Pavlov
      2004-12-28

What version of Windows?
      7-Zip needs msvcrt.dll
      Most latest Windows versions has it.

• Ares
      Ares
      2004-12-28

Ok, finally figured it out, I needed msvcrt.dll, MSVCR71.dll, and MSVCP71.dll in my 7-zip folder to run 7zfmn.exe from my USB drive.  Everything works now.  Thanks Igor!

-Ares

• Igor Pavlov
        Igor Pavlov
        2004-12-28

7-zip doesn't need MSVCR71.dll and MSVCP71.dll.
        Try without them.

• Ares
      Ares
      2004-12-28

It was on a fresh install of WinXP w/SP2 I might add.  Usually it would work after I installed a few other programs (that installed the C runtimes, obviously).  Now it works fine before installing anything at all.

-Ares

• Ares
      Ares
      2004-12-28

On a fresh install of WinXP w/SP2, if I run 7zfmn.exe, I get the following error:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze859dw/misc/7z1.gif

If I copy MSVCP71.DLL into the program's folder, I get this:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze859dw/misc/7z2.gif

After copying that, it works, because msvcrt.dll is already in the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 folder from the installation of XP.

-Ares

• Igor Pavlov
        Igor Pavlov
        2004-12-28

What version of 7-zip?

• Ohhhh I think I know why it needs it now.  I'm using that drag-and-drop support mentioned in an earlier thread.  That must be what needs the C Runtimes.  It's v4.12 with the drag and drop "plugin".  I might just do away with that for my USB key, it's unnecessary really.

Thanks Igor,
      -Ares