Next stable version?

2013-07-29
2013-11-28
  • stdesktopbs
    stdesktopbs
    2013-07-29

Hi everybody!

I'm a part of an IT crew, and we're implementing 7Zip in our organization.

We are using 9.20 version for now, but next versions have fixed some important bugs for us.
    Homewer, we can't use Betas in a live production environment.

Anyone can tell an approximate date for the next Release version?

Thanks in advance.

• stdesktopbs
    stdesktopbs
    2013-07-29

Hi again.
    After reading a lot of posts in the forum, I don't understand why all versions since 2011 are Alpha or Beta. I think perfectionism is good, but in a world where biggest companies seems to sell Alpha versions as Final Releases, with thousands of bugs, don't you think that your product is good enough?
    I think 9.25 is more stable than 9.20 or 9.22 (from my noob point of view), and could be a good Stable Version. As an example, in our case, we had the issue wich get an error when opening .xml archives directly without uncompressing... solved since 9.22 i think...

Thanks and sorry from my speech, mi English isn't so good... And Igor, thanks for your dedication, iniciatives like that are really inspiring, you are now in my idol book, with Nikola Tesla and Hugh Hefner... ;)

• Richard
    Richard
    2013-07-30

I can't speak for the developer, but from my experience the latest alpha (9.30) is extremely stable and I've made many, many archives with it and have not had a single issue with any of them.

You say you can't use betas (and presumably alphas) in a live production environment, but you already know the 9.20 version has bugs that are fixed in later builds. If the reluctance to use non-final builds is purely due to policy reasons, I can understand. But if it's because of a belief that non-final = bad quality, I still think it's worth trying the alpha because it's pretty good.

At this point though, I'd be surprised if a new final build gets released before I die. :)

• stdesktopbs
    stdesktopbs
    2013-07-30

I think the same thing, 9.30 version (or 9.25) are much more stable than 9.20
    And of course, i don't think that non-final = bad quality... But my managers think that the words "beta" and "alpha" are fearly things, and thats the reason because we cant implement this versions.

If anyone want to take the 9.30 Beta version, rename it to "9.30" , or "9.30 Release" without editing any line of the code, and then release it, it's enough for me. ^_^

Thats my question, if that versions are much better than 9.20, what is the reason to continue calling "Beta"??? In that way, isn't 9.20 much more "beta" ???

I've read in this forum a lot of posts answering if the product is discontinued, or thinking this product hasn't been updated since 2011 (I know there's a lot people working in it today), and in my opinion, all of this misunderstanding will be solved when somebody (I.Pavlov i guess) decide to change the name...

• jorel009
    jorel009
    2013-07-30

well we cant use 7zip because of the existing security bugs...its sad really, this project has not been updated in over 2 years.

• Richard
      Richard
      2013-07-31

Technically that's incorrect - it hasn't been updated for a bit over 9 months (counting the last available version) - it's just the final release that's not been updated for 2 years. Development is just going as slowly as Igor wants it to, because he's not being held accountable to anyone. It's his project, so it goes at his pace. Unfortunately though, the technology field moves quite fast and if he fails to keep up with another release soon, he might find interest in 7-Zip and the 7z format being lost after a while.

• stdesktopbs
    stdesktopbs
    2013-07-31

-jorel009, what security bugs do you refer?
    -Richard i agree with you, Igor don't work for anyone in this (his) project, but maybe, a crowfounding project or something similar, may get Igor to recover interest... And permit him to spend more time in it.

His participation in this post would be great...

Anyway, i still thinking that renaming 9.25 or 9.30 as final releases, would be better than actual situation; there are more stable, and more recent updated...

Development could be slow, but if people doesn't trust in a outdated product, it will lost users across time, and could be the begining of the end... Thats my point of view...

• jorel009
      jorel009
      2013-08-02

loss of file name encryption when you add a new file....there is a couple of bug reports listed.

• thekringel
    thekringel
    2013-07-31

I'm working for a company and we are interested to use 7-zip. But one of the main issues, 7-zip does not support chinese characters in file names....
    http://sourceforge.net/p/sevenzip/bugs/1284

Hopefully Igor can answer by when the next stable version is getting published and also by when this Bug #1284 is getting resolved.

We'd even donate the work if this bug is getting implemented with a high priority... :-)

• jiangcaiyang
      jiangcaiyang
      2013-08-05

Really? The source code implementation uses UString to hold most characters around the world. I think Chinese character is not the problem.

• Richard
    Richard
    2013-08-01

For anyone talking about crowd-funding/donations and the like, I actually raised the idea of a Kickstarter a while back, but Igor said it wasn't required. He even talks a little about the reason for the delay:

https://sourceforge.net/p/sevenzip/discussion/45798/thread/54cc7302/

• NoAngel
    NoAngel
    2013-08-01

Great news!

• dos386
    dos386
    2013-08-08

If anyone want to take the 9.30 Beta version, rename it to "9.30"

After next BUG-fix, please release it as 9.40 stable, Igor :-)

• stdesktopbs
      stdesktopbs
      2013-08-08

That would make me a very happy man...

"9.wathever Stable" -> :D
      "9.XX Final" -> :D
      "9.XX" -> :D
      "x.xx alpha" -> :(
      "x.xx beta" -> :
      (

• Local Host
    Local Host