aquarius
2013-08-10
2013-08-10
  • aquarius
    aquarius
    2013-08-10

Hi!!
    I'm using 7-zip from many years, now i'm on version 9.20
    Not only to compress files, but many times I protect my documents with password.

I always make a "full" protection, encrypting the name of the files, but when i need to update my archive with new versions of files, or adding some new ones, there comes out the problem. (i think it's a problem)

The firs time, to open the encrypted archive, it asks me the password, if it's wrong i can't see files inside. If right i see all.
    After the archive is opened I can add a new file.
    That's all.

I close the archive, re-open it and NO PASSWORD asked. I can see now the whole list of files inside. I can extract the last file added without password.
    The files encrypted before, I can see them now, but need password to be extracted.

Many years ago, before 7-zip, I used WinRar, to do the same thing.
    But when I added files to an encrypted archive, also the new file was encrypted.

Is there some i'm missing??

Thanks!!

• dos386
    dos386
    2013-08-10

Encrypted archive lost encryption when add new file

Hadn't this been already discussed (cca 1'000'000'000'000 times) ?

Is there some I'm missing??

This looks like a BAD BEHAVIOR.

Ways to fix:

• disallow adding files to all encrypted archives
    • disallow adding files to encrypted archives with encrypted headers
    • allow adding files to encrypted archives, but enforce providing some password
    • allow adding files to encrypted archives, but enforce providing same password as the archive already has

BTW, I don't do this myself ... all my 7-ZIP archives contain just 1 TAR ... no issues with encryption loss or header encryption ;-)

• aquarius
    aquarius
    2013-08-10

"allow adding files to encrypted archives, but enforce providing same password as the archive already has"

This is the one I need.
    I need to make .7z with password and encrypted filenames, but i need to add new files later.
    Where is the option to do what you said??

Thank you