Problem extracing large file from 7-zip file

2011-01-05
2012-12-07
  • Hi,

When trying to extract a 70gig file I get a "Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service." error. Now the server on which I'm trying to extract the file has 32gigs of RAM and Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Lirya
    Lirya
    2011-01-05

Is this Windows Server 2003 Enterprise 32 bit?
    32 bit can only assign 2 GB RAM (3 if you're a config-queen).
    Maybe it's not enough to get the job done.
    Do you know with which method the archive was created?
    You might wanna check the "memory used for extracting" then.

• Igor Pavlov
    Igor Pavlov
    2011-01-06

Do use command line?
    What command do you use?

• Scott J
    Scott J
    2011-09-15

I have the same issue:

Win2003 Enterprise server SP2 (x32) 3.19ghz Xeon processor, 8gb RAM, gigabit LAN.  I'm using 7zip 9.22 beta now, but have also used other (stable) versions to no avail.

I'm compressing a 65GB file source from UNC path with target on local drive.  I've tried everything I can think of, and no matter what I get the same "Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service" error.  Generally it's aprox 30-50% into the compression when it dies from what I can tell.  I can tell there's plenty of free CPU & RAM available the whole time this runs.

I'm using the command line, I've tried regular zip, bzip2, splitting output into small volumes, etc.  I've used both 7Za.exe and 7z.exe.  If I run the command(s) on the file once it is local, it works fine, but freeing up enough space is an issue for this server.

Here's a couple combinations of files I tried & it failed in my bat file:

7za.exe a -tbzip2 -mmt=on -v100m %sevenZipSplitVolumesOutputFileAndPath% %sourceFileUNCFullPathAndFile%
    7za.exe a -tzip %sevenZipSplitVolumesOutputFileAndPath% %sourceFileUNCFullPathAndFile%

Any thoughts?  I can test anything someone has suggestions.

• Igor Pavlov
    Igor Pavlov
    2011-09-16

1) Probably there is some problem with network (maybe bad driver or software).
    2) If it's bug in 7-Zip, you can try more simple command:
    7za.exe a -tbzip2 -mmt1 -mx1
    or
    7za.exe a -t7z -mmt1 -mx1

• Scott J
    Scott J
    2011-09-16

***1) Probably there is some problem with network (maybe bad driver or software)
    Well, I work at a Fortune 100 company and this is happening on a production environment server.  Our networks are pretty well-maintained.  I won't say it's not possible, but this isn't something happening on a crappy DIY home network with an old netgear router or similar….

*** 2) If it's bug in 7-Zip, you can try more simple command: 7za.exe a -tbzip2 -mmt1 -mx1 or 7za.exe a -t7z -mmt1 -mx1
    I'll give those a try and see what happens.  Is there any way to get a more verbose error code/description upon failure?

• Igor Pavlov
    Igor Pavlov
    2011-09-16

It's bug outside of 7-Zip. 7-Zip calls system functions (like read file from network), And probably at some point, the system returns that error.
    Try google with that error message. It shows messages with similar error.
    And some related links:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/285089