Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

License and distrubution

Tom Watson
2013-12-13
2013-12-13
  • Tom Watson
    Tom Watson
    2013-12-13

The FAQ says:
    ]]]]]
    Can I use the EXE or DLL files from 7-Zip in a Commercial Application?

Yes, but you are required to specify in your documentation (1) that you used parts of the 7-Zip program, (2) that 7-Zip is licensed under the GNU LGPL license and (3) you must give a link to www.7-zip.org, where the source code can be found.
    [[[[[

But LGPL v2.1 seems to indicate in section 4:
    ]]]]]
    You may copy and distribute the Library (or a portion or derivative of it, under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange.
    [[[[[

The LGPL v2.1 seems to indicate that if I distribute 7-zip (say, an exe file) I must also distribute the source code next to it. Simply pointing to the 7-zip web site doesn't appear to be allowed.

Questions:
    1) Am I reading this correctly (I'm not a lawyer)?
    2) Can the license can be modified (a codicil?) to say that the option in the FAQ is sufficient for an "unmodified" release of 7-zip?
    3) Am I paranoid (probably!)?

• Igor Pavlov
    Igor Pavlov
    2013-12-13

The main thing - all users must have access to source code.
    While 7-Zip site and sourceforge provide source code, it's enough to link them.
    In paranoid case you can include 3 links:
    1) to 7-zip.org site
    2) to sf.net site
    3) to some your site, where you can provide same source code.

Last edit: Igor Pavlov 2013-12-13