Menu

7-Zip 9.29 alpha

2012-09-07
2013-07-17
<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)
  • Tony Marques

Tony Marques - 2012-09-25

There is an ISSUE somewhere either after command #1 (first bold) it should actually create the 32 byte file jrbbm.7z or command #2 (second bold) should recognize the archive created by the error in command #1.

D:\>[b]7z a jrbbm.7z G:..\BlackBerry\music[/b]
    7-Zip [64] 9.29 alpha  Copyright (c) 1999-2012 Igor Pavlov  2012-09-07
    Scanning
    Media:  WARNING: The system cannot find the file specified.
    Creating archive jrbbm.7z
    WARNINGS for files:
    Media : The system cannot find the file specified.
    ----------------
    WARNING: Cannot find 1 file
    D:\>[b]7z a jrbbm.7z G:\Media\BlackBerry\music[/b]
    7-Zip [64] 9.29 alpha  Copyright (c) 1999-2012 Igor Pavlov  2012-09-07
    Error:
    There is some data block after the end of the archive
    Not implemented
    System error:
    Not implemented

More than all that, I would actually also like command #1 to actually work where the working directory was "G:\Media\Blackberry" … I suppose 7z had no way of knowing what the actual working directory is on that drive.  No, actually "rar a bbjr.rar g:..\BlackBerry" works (same as cmd #1) as I expect in the same circumstances when the current directory in G: is again "G:\Media\Blackberry"… 7z requires absolute directories so if I was still in "G:\Media\Blackberry" and from D: I tried "7z a jrbbm.7z G:music" that would also fail…

If I do a "del jrbbm.7z" to get rid of 32 byte file and retried command #2 it works fine… so #1 bad… #2 ok if not following #1.

• Tony Marques

Tony Marques - 2012-09-25

"it SHOULDN'T actually create the 32 byte file"

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2012-09-25

1) It can create 32-byte empty .7z archive.
    2) There is no good support for working directories in Win32. 7-Zip doesn't support Working directories.
    3) There is BUG in 7-Zip 9.29. It can't update empty .7z archive. I'll fix that bug in next version. Thanks!!!

• szfong

szfong - 2012-09-26

Is there the other two complimentary switches to the "-stl switch" which set archive timestamp to 'NEWEST' file within the archive?

A switch to set to the date of the 'OLDEST' file within the archive AND
    a switch to 'RETAIN' the original date of the archive would be quite useful.

Thanks…

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2012-09-27

szfong:
    In what cases do you need these switches?

• szfong

szfong - 2012-09-28

It allows one to quickly know which archive has the oldest files, which can either be marked for deletion or updating. This was a feature I often used at work in the old days of OpenVMS/PKZip.

The retain original date is often used when one had re-saved a file but nothing important was made to that file, so the previous archive date should be retained. 

• FC117

FC117 - 2012-10-06

Whhen 7z comes with source and moves to rc stage? 2 years is almost passed from last stable. 7z is is most widespread archiver thanks to you Igor.

BTW you dont need to worry about recovery record feature anymore…. freearc is with recovery record now.
    I have new icons to offer for 7z but i will replace them if new release comes with old icons.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2012-10-12

Congratulations, 7zip it's great. I would really really like to see thumbnails for known image files (jpg, bmp, gif, etc), some day. I hope you are working on this.

• szfong

szfong - 2012-10-14

I ipavlov:

7-Zip v9.20 seems to be a bit "long in the tooth" now that it is almost 2013.

I hope the next version version after 9.29 alpha is 7-Zip v9.30 "Stable"  :-)

I think it is stable enough, and/or more stable than most others I've tried already… Perfection will just go so far sometimes..

Thanx again for this great program…

take care…

• Emr Dustin

Emr Dustin - 2012-10-14

I like it, I'll prove it

• taglife

taglife - 2012-10-18

7-Zip 9.29 alpha compress favicon.ico filename show "Progress Error" ?!

• Fallon

Fallon - 2012-10-19

Igor, someone else mentioned it as well. Looks like this version 7-Zip cannot open archived image-files like '.jpg', '.png', etc., with double-click in many viewers, except for the first image clicked in an archive. After the first image has opened, a second image started from the same archive does not open-replace it.

Checked this with:

1- FSviewer, which always uses a single window - multiple files replace eachother in one view window.
    * No opening of second image.

2- Default windows photo viewer, which uses multiple windows - a new file opens in it's own view window.
    * No opening of any image.
    'Windows Photo Viewer can't open this picture because either the picture is deleted, or it's in a location that isn't available.'

3- XNview, it works okay for multiple windows, but checking for a single window view failed, because XNview has issues itself.
    (xnview always opens a pic from doubleclick in a new session, never mind what options are selected, like: 'Only one window view opened'-'No multiple view for same file'-'Open only one view for multiple files (startup). Drag-drop is the only exception.

4- ACDSee Pro 6, using out of the box default settings.
    * No opening of second image.
    ACDSee Quick View could not locate the following file on your system: (…)

7-Zip 9.29 alpha
    Win7 Ultimate 64bit SP1build7601 English

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2012-10-20

Now I don't know simple way to fix it.
    Maybe later.

• Steffen W

Steffen W - 2013-01-14

Even though default encoding for TAR format may now be UTF-8, filenames that include non-standard characters are not correxctly extracted.

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2013-01-14

Describe some example with such TAR.

• Steffen W

Steffen W - 2013-01-14

e.g. "Müde Männer müßen länger schlafen.doc" inside "test.tar" is extracted to
    "M³de Mõnner m³¯en lõnger schlafen.doc"

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2013-01-14

How do you create that TAR?
    If you used another program, maybe they didn't use UTF-8.
    Create the TAR with 7-Zip and then extract that TAR with 7-Zip.
    Use only NTFS drive.

• Steffen W

Steffen W - 2013-01-15

... you are right, original .tar has been created with Total Commmander using 7zip Plugin.
    As the created archive and its contained file looked and worked perfectly ok within Total Commander I have no reason to doubt that the archive itself is ok.

If created and extracted with 7fFM 9.29 alpha, everything works fine as well.

Anyhow, for a truly universal approach it would be nice if 7zip would be able to also extract .tar archives that obviously work for filemanagers such as Total Commander.
    Is there a chance?

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2013-01-15

Does 7zip plugin for Total Commmander use old version of 7-Zip?
    Does it use some 7z.dll or 7z.exe file?
    If so, look the version number for that file.

Old version of 7-Zip used OEM (DOS) encoding for TAR archives.
    And maybe your OEM encoding doesn't support correctly these non-standard characters.

• Steffen W

Steffen W - 2013-01-15

The plugin (www.totalcmd.net/plugring/Total7zip.html) uses 7z.dll 9.22 beta.

Funny thing is, that with this version dll Total Commander can both tar-pack und unpack the file "Müde Männer müßen länger schlafen.doc" without any character scrambling whereas 7zipFM.exe can not, regardless if in version 9.20 or 9.29.

Do you have an explanation for that?

• Steffen W

Steffen W - 2013-01-15

.. sorry, correction: 7zFM.exe 9.20 up to 9.29 CAN pack und unpack .tar with non-standard characters correctly but behave different when used as Plugin for Total Commander.

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2013-01-15

Can you describe again in what case you have problem?

<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)