7-Zip 15.12 was released.

7-Zip for 32-bit Windows:

http://7-zip.org/a/7z1512.exe

7-Zip for 64-bit Windows x64:

http://7-zip.org/a/7z1512-x64.exe

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2015-11-19

There are some changes after 7-Zip 15.11 beta:
      - Some problem with columns was fixed in 7-Zip File Manager.
      - "There are no errors" string after "Test" operation inside archive.
      - The bugs in LZMA SDK were fixed (but these bugs are not related directly to 7-Zip's code).

• aquarius

aquarius - 2015-11-21

Hi Igor!
      There will never be a native OS X version of 7-Zip ??
      I think it's The Best archive manager at this time.

I started using it years ago, just for trying, and after some days I converted all my RAR archives to 7Z.
      Now it's my default archive manager on Windows and Linux, but I can't use it on my MacBook Pro... I must use BetterZip.

Thanks in advance for your reply, and many many many... thanks for the great job you made with this wonderful software!!!

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2015-11-21

I don't develop for mac os. And there are so many problems with some things in Windows, so I don't think that I want to look also to mac system things.

• Rich McGrew

Rich McGrew - 2015-11-21

There is an open-source port of 7-zip to Mac OS X called Keka with a graphical user interface. You can also install the command-line port of 7-zip to non-Windows operating systems, p7zip, which is a bit more up to date but lacks the GUI conveniences. I have found that Keka gets the job done and is a good free open-source archiver/unarchiver for Mac OS X that is full-featured.

Get it for free at http://www.kekaosx.com/ if you have Mac OS X of any version from 10.4 Tiger thru 10.11 El Capitan, it works on all of those versions, I use it on 10.11 El Capitan. I suggest to first install the stable version. Then you are able to open 7z archives, and then you can download the beta version for newer features. Also install the context menu extension. Its interface is not as full-featured as the 7-zip File Manager for Windows but it is good enough for most purposes and integrates very well with Mac OS X. Since it supports a wide variety of archive formats and works on all Mac OS X versions from 10.4 thru the current 10.11, and has a convenient user interface instead of being command-line, and is also free GNU GPL open source software based on 7-zip's p7zip port, it is clearly the best choice for someone who wants something similar to 7-zip's graphical user interface and OS integration, but on Mac OS X instead of Windows.

If you have any questions or problems with Keka please contact Keka's developer rather than the developer of 7-zip, who only works on the Windows version.

• vlad

vlad - 2015-12-03

Hi, Igor.
      Have you ever considered signing 7-zip installer? Or just put the signature on your site separately as .asc file?

• soldatovaua

soldatovaua - 2015-11-19

Хотел спросить: при инсталляции 7-zip при выборе пути язык с помощь Shift + Alt не меняет раскладку клавиатуры. Это нормально?

I wanted to ask, when you install 7-zip in choosing path language using Shift + Alt does not change the keyboard layout. This is normal?

Last edit: soldatovaua 2015-11-19
    • Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2015-11-19

It's not normal.
      Now I see the problem in code.
      I need to change GetMessage() function call. I'll try fix the problem in next version.

It's funny that we had that problem in all latest beta versions for several months. And it was reported only in "release" version in hour after release.

And small trick: you still can switch the language, if you press Alt+Shift and then Alt + Space and then Esc.

Thanks for report!

Last edit: Igor Pavlov 2015-11-19
      • soldatovaua

soldatovaua - 2015-11-19

Извините, не хотел никого обидеть. Видимо просто раньше не замечал.

Sorry, did not mean to offend anyone. Probably just had not noticed before.

• İsmail Dönmez

İsmail Dönmez - 2015-11-20

It's funny that we had that problem in all latest beta versions for several months. And it was reported only in "release" version in hour after release.

Well looking at the comments on multiple websites, turns out people don't install beta versions.

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2015-11-20

The number of downloads (downloads per day) of "beta" versions was high. It was similar to number of downloads for 9.20.

• İsmail Dönmez

İsmail Dönmez - 2015-11-20

Good to know! (seriously)

• kapela86

kapela86 - 2015-11-19

Yet you still didn't implement SetEndOfFile on Windows version, I'm bugging you about it for some time. Can you read my previous post and original feature request and tell us finally, if you will implement this or not?

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2015-11-20

I'll check it later.

• Sr. Zé Alguém

Sr. Zé Alguém - 2015-11-20

How to make 7zip remember selected Options (sfx, shared files, delete after) in 'Add to Archive' dialog?

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2015-11-20

"Delete files after compression" is dangerous setting.
      User can lose files, if it's remembered.

"SFX" and "Shared" - I suppose that most users don't need it too often. So it doesn't remember these options.

• Sr. Zé Alguém

Sr. Zé Alguém - 2015-11-25

I would like to keep the "shared" option always enabled, seems to be a good and safe option to avoid files not being compressed when in use...

Last edit: Sr. Zé Alguém 2015-11-25
  • Pesala

Pesala - 2015-11-20

Congratulations on your hard work. No issues with installing the 64-bit version.

Bug Report: For 64-bit 7-Zip on Windows 7 64-bit Home 8 Gbytes RAM
    1. Open a 7z archive in the file manager
    2. Select Tools, Options
    3. 7-Zip Tab (shell menu options)
    4. Enable "Icons in context menu" (or change any other checkbox)
    5. OK

Result: Error dialog "An event was unable to invoke any of the subscribers."

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2015-11-26

Just ignore that message.
      Icons probably will work.
      I'll try to improve that code.

• antonator

antonator - 2015-12-21

Hello Igor,
        this is caused by Windows' UAC which prevents system level access. You need to request administrator privileges to register the file types and similar settings. Here is some example code:
        https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsdesktop/CppUACSelfElevation-5bfc52dd

• h11p5g

h11p5g - 2015-11-20

Hello Igor,

in new version, compression ratio is worse like in version 9.20 with same parameters.
    Please add back sorting files by type.

Decompressed size: 4,2 GiB
    In 9.20: 1272,8 MiB (LZMA2, dictionary size 6 MB, word size 32, solid block size 512 MB, number of CPU threads 3)
    In 15.12: 1918,4 MiB (LZMA2, dictionary size 6 MB, word size 32, solid block size 512 MB, number of CPU threads 3)
    In RAR4: 1380,9 MiB

Thanks

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2015-11-20

So why you test with 6 MB dictionary?
      You can increase it.

Sometimes new version is better, sometimes is worse.
      If you compress some garbage folders with many duplicates with small dictionary, then new version can be worse in compression ratio.
      If you compress "good" data (for example, source code folder of some big project), then new version can be better.

But in any case new "name" sorting is better for HDDs (NTFS).
      You can have some performance problems, if the file order is changed (like in old versions of 7-Zip).

• Stefan Pendl

Stefan Pendl - 2015-11-20

It would be nice to be able to enable sorting by file type by a global option.
        If one compresses a huge folder structure with many different file types it is more important to have a smal archive than a fast extraction performance.

Stefan

Last edit: Stefan Pendl 2015-11-20
      • h11p5g

h11p5g - 2015-11-20

Dictionary 6 MB was good for me.
        No high usage RAM, CPU and no big archive.

In test archive is mixed data (60% files from SolidWorks, pictures, documents)
        Number of files is 17 943.

16 MB dictionary: 1 889,4 MiB
        32 MB dictionary: 1 876,8 MiB

• Igor Pavlov

Igor Pavlov - 2015-11-20

Maybe big dictionary (128 MB - 512 MB) can be better?

Also you can specify qs in Parameters. 7-Zip remembers that setting. And it will solve your problems.

1 2 3 4 > >> (Page 1 of 4)