7-Zip 9.27 alpha

<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)

• Anonymous

On Windows you can at least ctrl-alt-shift-print screen to get dialog copied
    to clipboard.

Text copy would require .exe's .rc-file edit, that in no doubt will be available soon…

• Anonymous

"On Microsoft Windows, hard links can be created using the mklink /H command on Windows NT 6.0 and later systems (such as Windows Vista), and in earlier systems (Windows XP, Windows Server 2003) using fsutil.exe hardlink create. "

HTH, Igor.

• antonator

Here is a Windows Explorer extension which allows you to test and explore (and of course use) all variants of NTFS links very easily:

• Dark Diver
    Dark Diver

About NTFS links:

Windows by itself often uses different types of links (started from Vista).
    Windows users directories contains many junctions and, sometimes, symbolic links. Windows directory contains many links, especially hard links.

I use many links - for command aliasing (like in *nix, one exe/cmd file with different links on it), for refering to same folder or file from several locations, for content categorization. I use junctions on several servers - with junctions I can quickly change shared folders content without moving data from one place to another. For moving program data files to different/safe/network place, when program data path is hardcoded and can't be changed. For moving programs and data on another disk and create link in old location, when disk space are low. And so on - where are many different use cases.
    At last, reparse points - standart NTFS feature. Junctions recognized and used by Windows from Win2K, symlinks - from Vista.
    Hard links are not repase points - this is simply standart NTFS feature, just alternative file names.

I create links with standart Windows utility mklink.exe
    and with "FAR Manager".

Symbolic links to folder and junctions are different types of links (reparse points) for different cases and processed by Windows differently. Symlinks can be relative, junctions can be absolute only.

For now I can't archive Windows user home dir and extract it later on same or other computer, for example.
    I can't copy or move files and folders with links from one PC to another without straight "NTFS to NTFS copy (volume to volume on same machine)".
    Symlinks and junctions are "too clear" for OS. This is correctly, I think, but when I need copy or move data between PCs "as is", with links - I can't (well, some backup programms can do this, but with full disk backup). Or when I need to archive files and foldes with hard/sym links - after extracting files and/or folders structure are different. Some archivers stores symlinks as copies, some as files with zero size. Links to folders stored as target folder and its content, not as link.

Storing symlinks in archive require format changing, may be, but  are simple. Not sure about files with several hard links - which should be the archiver logic.
    For symlinks archivers can store file content as copy (like now) and target link path, when extracting archiver can extract file as copy in default mode or as link with additional switch. And archiver can store only one file content copy, if archive contains several symbolic or hard links.

If I only had a program for Windows like "tar", which can recognize and store files, folders, junctions and symlinks on NTFS in one file… After that I could use 7z for compressing only.
    WinRAR can extract hard and symbolic links from TAR, TAR.GZ or TAR.BZ2 archives to NTFS as links.

I think, what by default links using must be "clear", like no links at all. But must be the way to archive/extract links "as links".

• Dark Diver
    Dark Diver

FAR Manager makes links using very simple. It can create/copy/move/delete links right. And can follow or not links while searching files, for example. Or while copying/moving.

• 玩世不恭

为什么没有中文版的?Why no Chinese version?

• 玩世不恭

• Prune

I second the request for hardlink support. tar files normally support hardlinks, yet when I extract on Windows with 7-Zip a tar file containing hardlinks that was created on Linux, it just creates multiple copies of the file.

• Jami

I agree, support for compressing NTFS links under Windows becomes an important feature since Vista / Win7.

• hessam

hi igor
    i updated farsi translation.please include in next version

• sascha

Dear Igor Pavlov,

Will the next stable release be on the internet before sept 11 ? After sept 11 this year the licence for 7 zip runs out and theres not much time left .Apparently the licence for 7 zip expires and it cannot be renewed after sept 11.

• TiKu

How can the LGPL expire?
    Could it be that you became victim of betrayers that made you pay for something that is free?

• David

nice post……….

<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)