Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

How to fix corrupted files of a archive

gnose
2013-12-07
2013-12-13
  • gnose
    gnose
    2013-12-07

Hi,

I've save a lot of files in a 7ZIP achive but somes files of these archives have a size of 0 octet.
    How can i fix these files? can you propose a software to do that?

regards.

• Shell
    Shell
    2013-12-07

Try the Test command. If the archive has no errors, then you cannot recover those zero-length files. But, perhaps, those are not corrupt at all - they may well be 0 bytes originally.

If you are sure you have lost some data, please give a screenshot or upload the problematic archive.

• gnose
    gnose
    2013-12-09

Hi, this archive was already uncompressed without any problem so i am sure that the files weren't 0 bytes originally. I try several times and it's ever the sames files which are corrupted

I tried the test command and take a screeshot.

• Shell
    Shell
    2013-12-12

Looks like the archive is password-protected. Look at the "Encrypted" column in 7-Zip File Manager (or examine the output of 7z l -slt). If the files are really encrypted, try entering a correct password.

• gnose
      gnose
      2013-12-13

It's not possible that the password isn't correct because the others files of the archive are exctrated and all the files are in the same archive. Look the numbers of files 1870 files are compressed in the semae archive but just 36 files of them are corrupted. But it's the same archive and the passeword.

Can you explain to me what do you mean : "examine the output of 7z l -slt" ? How can i do that ?

• Shell
        Shell
        2013-12-13

7z l -slt <archive> is a console command that gives a verbose listing of the archive. Please, show me the problematic files either in that listing, or in the screenshot of 7zFM. (You'd better store the screenshot in PNG format - BMP is quite large). Do they have any other "strange" properties apart from the size?

The archive is probably damaged, and I think that is because of a faulty disc. Please check that possibility by searching a long pattern of identical bytes (most probably a multiple of 512 zeros or F6's) in the archive. Most hex editors can perform such a search. If you find such a pattern (I think there will be exactly 36 of them), then the archive misses some data and you cannot recover your files.