7-Zip 9.32 alpha

2013-12-01
2014-07-30
<< < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > >> (Page 4 of 7)
  • john lee
    john lee
    2013-12-29

Why not use gcc - virtualbox uses GCC for 32 and 64 bit, and I should think it has more code than 7zip. They seem to think it isn't buggy.

Is it a performance issue?

John

• Igor Pavlov
      Igor Pavlov
      2013-12-30

The code from GCC was not fast for x86 in past.
      Maybe now GCC is good enough for performance.
      But I'll try VS 2013.
      And if there is some problem, I'll think about something else.

• Rich McGrew
        Rich McGrew
        2014-04-30

If you use VS 2013 be sure to make it compatible with Windows XP and older CPUs. By default VS 2013 requires Windows Vista or later and a CPU supporting SSE2 or later.

Here is the way to get it to work with older CPUs: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/7t5yh4fd.aspx - use the "/arch:IA32" option in VS 2013.

To get it to work with Windows XP in VS 2013, go to project, properties, general, and set the Platform Toolset to "v120_xp".

Lately I've noticed a lot of programs compiled in VS 2012 or 2013 not working on older CPUs that don't have SSE2, thanks to the default in both those versions being "/arch:SSE2". My own computer has a CPU that doesn't support SSE2 (AMD Sempron 2800+). So please be careful to maximize compatibility if you use the newer MS Visual Studio versions.

One of the advantages of GCC is its default options don't cause any compatibility problems, and work with a wider variety of CPUs and versions of Windows (as well as dozens of other operating systems too)... but yes, MS Visual Studio's compiler does tend to produce executables that are smaller in size and a bit faster, although mostly the difference in speed is because of different default optimization settings in GCC and MS Visual Studio (GCC is set to work with anything back to a 386 by default while MS Visual Studio is set to require at least an Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon 64 by default, and while recent versions of MS Visual Studio can only support Windows XP and later, GCC still supports everything back to Windows 98).

• saqirilatu
    saqirilatu
    2013-12-30

Igor Pavlov Hello Sir? I'd like to add a new language in 7-zip, file how to send you? This is China's (Mongolian), thank you

I put the files uploaded to my space, you download it, thank you
    http://bcs.duapp.com/saqirilatu/language(mng).7z

• Igor Pavlov
      Igor Pavlov
      2013-12-30

Did you test that translation file in 7-Zip and does it work?

Write more information about language and script.
      What Unicode range is used (why Unicode codes like E5EB)?
      Does it require to install font?
      How many users have that font installed now?

• saqirilatu
    saqirilatu
    2013-12-30

Users are not too much, has tens of thousands of!!!! Use our Unicode beginning, Windows 7, doing system support, but the desktop text is too small, does not support WINXP (already installed support library), I've just sent to you we are using here,
    I can't speak English, I use translation software translation!!

• Igor Pavlov
      Igor Pavlov
      2013-12-30

Is it Mongolian script?
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongolian_script
      The Unicode block for Mongolian is U+1800–U+18AF.

But why your file uses another Unicode codes?
      I can't see these characters in Windows 7.

• saqirilatu
    saqirilatu
    2013-12-30

Or I use Unicode also get one!

• saqirilatu
    saqirilatu
    2013-12-30

This to install the font!!!! I have to upload folder, called Menksoft. Tte, the font file in C: \ \ WINDOWS \ \ system32 \ \ Menksoft tte
    Then write to the registry value

• saqirilatu
    saqirilatu
    2013-12-30

Windows 7 there is a Mongolian! But Windows 7 and doing the Mongolian script inside body has a problem,
    Add methods
    Control panel - language and regional - and - add - Mongolian (traditional Mongolian, China)

• saqirilatu
    saqirilatu
    2013-12-30

How are you? Do you have instant messaging software? Such as Windows Live Messenge, my ID is saqirilatu@126.com

• Igor Pavlov
      Igor Pavlov
      2013-12-30

We don't need messaging software.
      This forum is better.
      You can create new thread in Tickets/Patches section and upload translation file there (with only one txt file in archive).
      And please answer my questions in that new thread:

Is it Mongolian script?
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongolian_script
      The Unicode block for Mongolian is U+1800–U+18AF.
      So why your file uses another Unicode codes?

• Melchior
    Melchior
    2013-12-30

Hi Igor thx so much for a new update ^^
    Love change logs ^
    ^

• saqirilatu
    saqirilatu
    2013-12-31

Windows 7 and doing the Mongolian Unicode inside there is a problem, this is not a Unicode, another kind of coding, Menksoft coding (www.menksoft.com)

• saqirilatu
    saqirilatu
    2013-12-31

I'm in the translation of Mongolian Unicode! At night send you, thank you

• Brett Hoyle
    Brett Hoyle
    2014-01-01

In 9.32 I can not open archives in archives.
    Eg open zip with files plus another zip inside, attempting to open the zip inside "inside" or "outside" gives error message that the archive could not be opened.

This happens in all files cases I can find. The same files open fine in 9.30.

Example file, 9.32 can not open firmware.zip while 9.30 can:
    http://fotadl.htc.com/OTA_EVITA_UL_JB_50_S_Orange_UK_5.14.61.2-3.17.61.1_release_341164uhscsguuxog0wwex.zip

My machine:
    Windows 8.1 x64
    7zip 9.32 32 and 64bit suffered from the same issue.

However I did find a few zip files 9.30 could not extract files from(but did list contents fine) that now work correctly in 9.32 :)

Last edit: Brett Hoyle 2014-01-01
    • Igor Pavlov
      Igor Pavlov
      2014-01-01

7-zip can open zip in zip.
      But there is problem with htc zip archive.
      It contains file firmware.zip
      But firmware.zip is not good ZIP archive.
      firmware.zip consists of some 256 bytes at start and then ZIP archive.
      New 7-Zip doesn't want to open such ZIP.
      But you can open it via menu Open -> ZIP or Open -> #.
      Also you can open it, if you change extension of file: firmware.ttt.

Why 7-Zip doesn't want to open 256 bytes + zip as zip archive.
      Imagine such situation:
      You have 1 KB small.zip and 10 GB of another data in many files.
      You archive all of these files to big.zip.
      Then big.zip was corrupted by some reason.
      And you call "Test archive" operation.
      7-Zip can't open big.zip, but it can open small.zip inside big.zip.
      It can show that it's OK with small.zip, but user wants to open and test big.zip.
      So it's more safe to say that it can't open most expected archive - big.zip.

• Brett Hoyle
        Brett Hoyle
        2014-01-02

256bytes is HTC signature.
        Android having signature for zip's is common although I believe APK has signature at the end of the file instead of the start.
        Infact OTA_EVITA_UL_JB_50_S_Orange_UK_5.14.61.2-3.17.61.1_release_341164uhscsguuxog0wwex.zip is signed at the end of the file.

I know 7-zip has never supported writing to these zip files because of the signature at the beginning but always supported reading.
        It would be at least nice to have an option to continue opening these archives like older 7-zip could.

eg a checkbox for "ignore nonstandard data before archive"

Perhaps this option would even let the user write to the zip with the 256bytes at the start untouched, creating a zip with a non-matching signature.

Edit: From what I am reading, signatures at the start or the end of the file is not outside of zip specifications.

Last edit: Brett Hoyle 2014-01-02
      • cyzsvn6
        cyzsvn6
        2014-03-19

Want "Open inside as" menu.

• Thanks for the new alpha Igor, but could you please consider adding an option to verify a password when an archive is being created? At the moment a typo when typing the password can easily render the archive useless.

• leon
    leon
    2014-01-03

Thank you.
    version 9.32 can open RAR5 archives?

• leon
    leon
    2014-01-03

Hi I compressed an EXE file with v9.22 and v9.32 but v9.22 gave a bit smaller size than v9.32 then I added f=bcj for v9.32 and file size became smaller than v9.22.

<< < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > >> (Page 4 of 7)