Command line return values - valueless

2005-03-03
2012-12-08
  • Greg Norris
    Greg Norris
    2005-03-03

I was wondering if the command line return values could relate to the status of the last command,

I ran 7z.exe to archive some files in batch and it returned a Zero - which my batch was testing,..

My batch then performed a za t archive.zip  filename and subsequent to a Zero return on the test deleted the original file.

The problem is that the file DID NOT archive yet both the archive and test processes returned a Zero. How is anyone supposed to test the success of a batch process without valid return codes?

Willing to help where I can as I can see this as a great application. I also really like the GUI interface.. Much more logical for non technical users.

Many regards,
    Greg.

• bjsjr
      bjsjr
      2005-03-11

I have to agree.  Invalid return codes makes this dangerous to use for automated backups (which was my planned application.)

:-(

Bill

• If you want a good, free and complete backup program, take a look at cobian backup 6: http://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cbu6.htm.
      Author has already started coding version 7.
      Surprise: somebody suggested the author to include compression with 7-zip in next version!

LP