LZMA Description + Sources?

2005-01-16
2012-12-08
  • Hello,

Many thanks to all those involved in this excellent project and the useful forums. Unfortunately, I have some problem with the licenses. My apologies if I'm posting to the wrong forum (in which case, could someone tell me the correct one, please?).

For legal reasons, I cannot use LGPL-license code, and only BSD-license code. (This project appears to be all LGPLd.) 
    Although, I've searched extensively through the Internet, I couln't understand the following regarding LZMA:
    1. Is LZMA itself covered by any patents?
    2. The reference LZMA code is LGPLd; If I were to recode LZMA, could I make the result BSD?
    3. If the answers to 1. and 2. are, respectively, no and yes, does anyone know of BSD-license LZMA code? Altenatively, does anyone know of a paper describing LZMA?

I appreciate in advance your time in reading/replying to this message.

Thanks,

Efrat

• Igor Pavlov
      Igor Pavlov
      2005-01-16

> Although, I've searched extensively through the Internet, I couln't understand the following regarding LZMA: 

Read also "exception" in license-info.
      If you can't use that exception rule, write why.

> 1. Is LZMA itself covered by any patents? 

No.

> 2. The reference LZMA code is LGPLd; If I were to recode LZMA, could I make the result BSD? 

I don't know answer.

•   Hello,

Thaks for your reply.

I am trying to compile an cross-platform STL-like generic library. My focus is strictly on software engineering; specifically, I'm interested in the interaction between compression functors and the STL's std::istreambuf and std::ostreambuf, in an attempt to orthogonalize compression considerations from character-formatting considerations (this problem is somewhat complicated in itself, and, to the best of my knowledge hasn't been solved adequately by other libraries, but hasn't much to do with compression).

The problem is that many of the leading open-source libraries, e.g., boost (http://www.boost.org), require a BSD license rather than an LGPL license (frankly, I don't know why, but this is a requirement).
        I'd be even willing to reverse-engineer the LZMA code and recode it again (naturally, retaining the full credits to the original authors), but I couldn't figure out whose permission I need to obtain (let alone actually obtain it).

Consequently, if you could grant me this permission, or refer me to someone who can, I'd be greatful. Also, given the excellent performance of this algorithm, I think it would be appreciated by the open source community.

Thanks

• Igor Pavlov
        Igor Pavlov
        2005-01-17

Now I'm not ready to change license to BSD-license.

Probably you can consider using of other algorithm. For example, PPMD. It's public domain. And it's simpler to implement for streams.