No Icons for Exes

2005-02-17
2012-12-08
  • hi all.

if i open a zip file with 7zip, i dont see the real icon for an exe file like setup programs. i can only see it if i extract the exe file.
    I use the option "show real file icons" so i dont know whats wrong here.
    all other icons show up correctly but not exes.

• Igor Pavlov
      Igor Pavlov
      2005-02-17

7-zip can't do it. To show real icons inside archive, system must read files.

• erm what do you mean with system must read file? so there is no way to display the icon inside the archive?

• Igor Pavlov
        Igor Pavlov
        2005-02-17

I don't know simple way.

• Ares
      Ares
      2005-02-17

By "system must read files" he means that in order to display the EXE's icon, that portion of the EXE header would have to be extracted and held in memory.  Which in theory would work, but what if you had an archive of 3,000 small EXE files?  It would take forever to open.  There's no way to read the archive without extracting at least a portion of the EXE file.  I don't believe even WinZip and other pay-for commercial products show the real EXE icon.  Even Window's built-in "compressed file folders" doesn't show EXE icons, I believe.

-Ares

• you're wrong ares. winzip can show the real icons for all files, including exes.
      thats why i was wondering why 7zip cant do it. because it really annoys me.