Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

7zip Won't Install

A.J.
2013-07-13
2013-07-13
  • A.J.
    A.J.
    2013-07-13

Hi
    When I click 7zip it says it needs to be installed, so I click install and it says it's finished. However, when I go open it again it still says it needs to be installed. My computer also won't recognize .7z files. How can I fix this?
    Thanks

• Shell
    Shell
    2013-07-13

Is it really 7-Zip that you are installing? I mean, have you got it from the official site or elsewhere? Which version is it? Are you installing the .EXE or the .MSI file, x86 or x64?

Please consult the Control Panel and check whether 7-Zip is installed properly. Try uninstalling it, restarting your system and installing back - this may solve some problems. Be sure to log in as an administrator to install 7-Zip, otherwise it will fail.

• A.J.
      A.J.
      2013-07-13

I'm installing the 7-Zip .EXE from the official website. Nothing I try seems to work.

• Shell
        Shell
        2013-07-13

OK, what version of Windows do you have? Is 7-Zip present in Programs and Components? If yes, uninstall it first. Try the MSI version if EXE does not work. Maybe that will do the trick.

• A.J.
          A.J.
          2013-07-13

Got it working, I think it might have been because I downloaded the MSI now. Thanks