Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

Split into Volumes 'not implemented' ...

2012-08-01
2012-12-07
  • Steve Davies
    Steve Davies
    2012-08-01

Hi,

I've seen a few posts on this topic but none have solved the problem.  I have a video file which is 600Mb and I want to 7zip it into several small files so that i can upload it to my server.  I right click the file, select 'Add to Archive' and from the Split into Volumes drop-down I select 10M and then OK.  But all I get is 'not implemented'. 

Any help greatly appreciated.

• it's not implemented for formats other than .7z

• Steve Davies
    Steve Davies
    2012-08-01

But 7z is the format I want to create.  Do you mean the file I right-clicked is not 7z?  But why would I zip a 7z file?

• Shell
    Shell
    2012-08-02

7-Zip 9.28 alpha, format - 7z, compression - Store, volume size - 10M. Works! Which version and parameters do you use?

• Steve Davies
    Steve Davies
    2012-08-02

It's a fresh download from the 7z site.  Version 9.2.

• Shell
    Shell
    2012-08-02

It's a fresh download from the 7z site.  Version 9.2.

I assume this is the release version 9.20. What parameters do you create your archive with? In particular, what level, method and dictionary do you specify? I would recommend you the level "Store" since most video files cannot be compressed much.

• Spyros
    Spyros
    2012-08-11

I wonder why most try to give an answer since they have no idea what they're talkin about and they drop irrelevant replies!

Anyway, the split method creates one file like   "example.7z" extension and the other files splitted, are named like "example.7z.001"  "example.7z.002" and goes on depending how many files it has created, if u have any trouble to understand this way, reply to me and i will try to upload a screenshot for u to see how it is like, but i don't think u will miss it.