7-Zip 9.34 alpha

2014-06-22
2 days ago
<< < 1 2 3 > >> (Page 2 of 3)
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo
    2014-06-30

Below download links you can clearly read:
    "7-Zip 9.34 alpha version is provided without source code.
    Source code will be released in future beta version."

• Łukasz
    Łukasz
    2014-07-02

I have Windows 8.1 64 bit. cannot associate files or add to the context menu of the menu of 7-zip, because I show up 2 messages. Please improve. This happens in both versions of 7-zip 32 and 64 bit.

I had to change it to an easy 7-zip, and I want to use 7-zip

• n00b
      n00b
      2014-07-04

Did you try to run 7z manager as administrator (right click) and then set associations? Context menu will work only with the same OS version - in your case is 7z x64. Please write here these messages.

• Łukasz
    Łukasz
    2014-07-04

You cannot uncheck those associations which said, after you press ok, the error message access denied.

http://images61.fotosik.pl/1139/cb3d0f9356ec0fd3med.jpg

edit:

even in catalogs, system do not want to pack your directories, folders and files through the context menu, add to ....7z and add to ... zip

Last edit: Łukasz 2014-07-05
    • n00b
      n00b
      2014-07-05

Maybe you have AV software that sandbox 7zip?
      Try disable it. (What kind of AV do you have?)
      Try to disable User Account Control - set it to minimum.
      If these tips failed, then email to me - n00b@wp.pl

• Ricardo
      Ricardo
      2014-07-07

You need to execute 7zFM with administrative rights before setting associations. You should not disable UAC.

• Łukasz
    Łukasz
    2014-07-05

ok, it works. I have avast free

• academic
    academic
    2014-07-08

-ssw switch doesn't work in command line version :-(

• Igor Pavlov
    Igor Pavlov
    2014-07-08

Yes, it will be fixed in next version.

• john lee
    john lee
    2014-07-10

Igor, can you please clarify the status of -spf (in previous version) in the help file and in the code (see separate thread discussion 'save full path name') Think I've used it & it has worked ok. It is not in help for the latest 9.34.

• jacky yang
    jacky yang
    2014-07-13

First the CRC SHA is useful.
    You should save the result of CRC SHA in a text file.
    So someone can change the case of character in CRC SHA.

• jacky yang
    jacky yang
    2014-07-13

Can you provide the feature in the future version.
    ( From WinRAR Help )
    Put each file to separate archive
    Put each selected file or folder to separate archive. If you set this option, an entered archive name is treated only as a destination path for new archives (if it is not a folder, its name part is ignored) and archive names are generated basing on file names.

• jacky yang
    jacky yang
    2014-07-13

You can add a Edit Box or Combo Box with a select path Button in Add to Archive Dialog.
    So someone can select a save path quickly more than use File Save As dialog box.

• john lee
    john lee
    2014-07-13

Next version (eg the beta) is for fixes - not new functionality. j

• jacky yang
    jacky yang
    2014-07-13

I am so happy! But Add MD5 in CRC SHA is so far.

Last edit: jacky yang 2014-07-13
  • john lee
    john lee
    2014-07-14

re -spf (see above), I have just tried it on this version and the switch is accepted by 7z but then doing a 7z l (list) doesn't show full path names and -spf is not in help, so clarification needed. Believe it worked in a previous alpha/beta! j

Last edit: john lee 2014-07-14
  • Andy Fielding
    Andy Fielding
    2014-07-14

Thanks for this! I thought I'd have to switch to a different archiver, because the previous 7-Zip (beta) didn't show context-menu commands in my file manager (xplorer2). v9.35 alpha fixes that, though—so whether it was intentional or not, nice work! I've been using it for a week and haven't had any problems.

Cheers, Ander

• I often use password in archives but there is no hotkey for "Enter password" field in "Add to Archive" dialog. Some other fields are missing hotkeys too.

Considering that password is probably used more often than additional parameters, I would suggest to use:
    - R for "Parameters"
    - P for "Enter password"
    - O for "Show password"
    - H for "Path mode"
    - C for "Compress shared files"
    - I for "Delete files after compression"
    - Dot for "...".

Also I noted that N is used twice:
    - for "Number of CPU threads"
    - and for "Encrypt file names".
    You may fix this by using Y for "Encrypt file names" or T for "Number of CPU threads".

Thanks!

Last edit: Valentin Shtronda 2014-07-16
  • ante
    ante
    2014-07-20

I've been having this issue since 9.20. I thought trying the alpha of the newest version would solve it, but it hasn't. I have files, whether they be .zip or .7z, that are zipped with multiple subfolders, or sometimes just a single subfolder. Whenever I use 7zip to unzip them, the program decides to remove all files from within the subfolders and place them in the main folder, leaving all subfolders empty. This isn't usually a problem. However, I have a program I am trying to unzip that is in .7z format, and in order for it to run appropriated, files must be in their designated folders. I have no clue what goes where since 7zip took everything out of their original subfolders. Is there some setting I'm missing here that stops the program from doing this? Way back when, it didn't do this. If it's just something I'm being blind to, can you kindly explain the process? Thank you much!

**I should add that it doesn't do this if I manually extract everything by opening the actual program and locating my file. However, it does this EVERY TIME I right click and extract by that method, instead of opening the program. Is there a reason it does this?

Last edit: ante 2014-07-20
    • gora2
      gora2
      2014-07-20

ante
      Сontext menu -> 7-Zip -> Extract file... -> Path mode: "No pathnames"
      change to: "Full pathnames"

• Starshadow
    Starshadow
    2014-07-22

I found a bug in extracting files from very large .iso files e.g. a Blu-ray image. I am trying to extract a file that exists at offset 0x2B0F40000 in the .iso file (I found it by opening the .iso in a hex editor). When I extract this file with 7-zip 9.31 and newer, the extracted file contains a chunk of data from some other file which exists at offset 0xB0F40000 (missing the leading 2) in the .iso file. 9.30 and earlier is able to extract the file correctly.

• Igor Pavlov
      Igor Pavlov
      2014-07-22

Yes, there is such bug in 9.31-9.34.
      I'll fix it in next version.
      Thanks for report!!!

• netlord
    netlord
    2014-07-28

Hi there

i want to use 7zip as a installer with pe
    therefore i created an config.txt with this content

;!@Install@!UTF-8!
    Path=".\"
    Progress="No"
    ExecuteFile="cmd"
    ExecuteParameters="/c install.cmd"
    ;!@InstallEnd@!

It doesnt work with this version.... (with the older version its working - but not unter PE64)
    It seems that the config.txt is completly ignored.

• Igor Pavlov
      Igor Pavlov
      2014-07-28

7-Zip doesn't support the following script command:
      Path=".\"

• gora2
    gora2
    2014-07-30

Hi, Igor
    File vcredist_x86.exe (http://www.microsoft.com/ru-ru/download/details.aspx?id=30679) is cab SFX
    7-zip by default opens it incorrectly
    7-zip mode "cab" opens it incorrectly
    7-zip mode "#" or "#:e" opens it correctly

• Igor Pavlov
      Igor Pavlov
      2014-07-30

Yes, 7-zip opens first cab, even if there is larger cab later.
      Now I'm not ready to change that code.

• gora2
        gora2
        2014-07-30

If one cab, then need to open it
        If more than one cab then enter the cab is not necessary.

• Martin Claus
    Martin Claus
    2014-08-08

It would be great to include some kind of helper which connects to selected filetypes for all users. If I start 7Zip as limited user and try to set it for all users I get an "Access denied" error. So an additional program which request the uac would be very helpful.

Last edit: Martin Claus 2014-08-08
    • Hobby-boy
      Hobby-boy
      2014-08-08

Similar to what WinRAR does when you change associations?

• Martin Claus
        Martin Claus
        2014-08-10

I don't know how Winrar is working. But most programs are downloading stuff like updates and to install the updates the programs are requesting administrative rights. All gaming platform use that for game installations.
        So the program itself is able to start in limited mode and requests administrative rights if required.

• Rich McGrew
    Rich McGrew
    2014-08-11

Hello, I have 3 features I request please.

1) Files that are .tar.gz or .tar.bz2 or .tar.xz (or alternate extensions .tgz or .tbz2 or .txz) should have an option to extract all at once instead of first extracting .tar from .gz/.bz2/.xz and secondly extracting files from .tar. This does not need to be default behavior, it could be an option in the preferences.

2) Currently I look inside an archive before extracting it. If everything is in one directory then I use the "Extract Here" context menu item. If the files and directories are in the root directory of the archive I extract the archive into a directory with the same name as the archive, using a different context menu item. Perhaps there can be an option to do this behavior automatically so I don't have to manually check if all files are in the same directory inside the archive... an option to extract it into its own directory that won't create a directory with just another directory inside it and all the files in that, because that is too complicated and Windows is not happy if you go too many directories deep and go over the maximum path length. And if the archive is several levels of just one directory it would go through each of those until it gets to a level with at least one file and/or more than one file/directory. This would option would still preserve subdirectories of the first directory that has more than one entry. Anyway this would make it a little more convenient to use.

3) Change the default Ultra/"-mx=9" compression options for Deflate to include "-mpass=15 -mfb=258" for even better compression.

• gora2
    gora2
    2014-08-20

Hi, Igor
    Installer JAVA - jre-8u20-windows-i586.exe (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre8-downloads-2133155.html)

I'm trying to extract the files: .rsrc\1033\JAVA_INSTALLER\103 and .rsrc\1033\JAVA_INSTALLER\105

1 From the command line - getting error
    2 7zFM click "Extract" - getting error
    3 7zFM drag the files to another folder - 7zFM hangs! :(

Previous installers of JAVA extracted without problems.

• Igor Pavlov
      Igor Pavlov
      2014-08-20

Yes, 7-Zip can't work with UPX archives.
      3. It's old drag and drop mouse hang problem. Use keyboard.

• Byron Taz
    Byron Taz
    2014-08-25

Fizzles out or stops on larger files. 1st system and settings. Win 8.1 64 Bit AMD 8350 16 GB DDR3 OC Mem 256 GB SSD & 4TB 7200rpm HDD. 7-zip 9.34 alpha Settings Com Level Ultra, LZMA2, Dict Size 1024 MB, Word Size 273, Solid Block Size. On files under 2 GB everything works fast and fine, but if file is over 2 it will slow down around 2 GB, pause for about 5 min, then slowly start compressing again (but still much slower than the 1st 1.5 GB, however I tried to compress/split into 700MB files a file just under 7 GB last night and 7.5 hours later it was stuck at 5.4 GB, but the funny thing is I only had 2 of the sections 1 700 MB, and 1 that was 315 MB (just under 1 GB of actual files). I did another file the night before (about 6 GB) and it did the same thing. I compressed both of these files with WinRAR 5.10 and they took under 15 min with no problems. WinRAR compression settings RAR 5, Best Compress, Dict Size 1024 MB, Word Size 273, etc. Basically the best same settings as 7-zip. I know that 1024 Dict Size is a lot, but 16 GB should work (works with WinRAR) and both times I opened Task Manager and showed %85 used and %88 used. Note: when I compress files I'm only compressing file, and shut down every thing else.

Thanks for all your hard work

Last edit: Byron Taz 2014-08-25
    • Igor Pavlov
      Igor Pavlov
      2014-08-26

When you select "1024 MB" dictionary, look also the line "Memory usage for compressing:" in "Add to Archive" dialog box. If that value is too large, just reduce the value in "Number of CPU threads" to 2.

• Byron Taz
        Byron Taz
        2014-08-26

Yea that worked. I changed it to 3 cores (Same mem usage as 2 cores) and worked fine. Question; is the memory usage for physical mem or virtual mem (pagefile)? Because my virtual mem is 38 GB and I could increase it more to use all 8 cores. Next question is; is this a bug? 38 GB virtual & 16 GB physical memory seems like it should be enough to compress a 6.5 GB file. Is this version not releasing memory or something elese?

Thanks again for this great software.

• Igor Pavlov
          Igor Pavlov
          2014-08-27

Don't look virtual memory size. LZMA2 needs physical memory.

It's not bug. LZMA2 needs about 11x times more memory than dictionary size for each 2 threads.
          For 1024 MB / 2 threads you need about 11 GB of physical memory, and 22 GB for 4 threads.

• Byron Taz
            Byron Taz
            2014-08-27

OK, thanks for the info and all your hard work. I guess if I want to compress files as small as possible, I'm limited to 3 cores.

Thanks again.

• BillAnt
    BillAnt
    2014-08-27

When opening some archives (.zip, .exe or .msi) in Flat View mode, when you try to select some or all files for extraction it crashes the GUI. In non-flat view mode it works fine.
    Here's an example of a zip file you can try. Just click on the black download button.
    http://d-h.st/Bhx

Bill

Using 9.34 in Win7x64

• Igor Pavlov
      Igor Pavlov
      2014-08-27

Is 7-Zip 32-bit or x64?
      I can't reproduce the bug.
      Maybe there was such bug in some old version.
      So please check again that you use 9.34 alpha (look to Help / About window)
      And describe exact actions to crash.

• BillAnt
        BillAnt
        2014-08-31

Using 9.34 in Win7x64

Weird because I can reproduce it consistently.
        Just open the archive in the link above then select View > Flat View
        Select all files and try to extract them, it should crash.
        When not in Flat View mode it works fine with the same archive.

If it doesn't crash for you then I have no idea why I've tried 9.34 on 3 different computers with Win7x64 and it's happening consistently.

• Marco
          Marco
          2014-08-31

Hi,
          it crashes for me too, tested under Win7 x64 with 9.34 x64.
          The crash happens as soon as I press CRTL+A to select all files.

• Igor Pavlov
          Igor Pavlov
          2014-08-31

OK. Now I can reproduce it.
          There is bug in 9.26-9.34.
          7-Zip File Manager crashes in "Flat Mode", if there is file "dir\file", but there is no "dir\" item in archive.

I'll fix it in next version.

Thanks!

• BillAnt
            BillAnt
            2014-09-11

Funny thing is that I've been experiencing this crash since 9.26, but was too afraid to report it to the zip "master" ;)

• superproz
    superproz
    2014-09-02

I apologize for putting a feature request in a bug reporting thread, but I did check out this version to see if it did what I was hoping for.

In the GUI, it would be handy to see what the equivalent command line would be. For example, this link shows someone trying to recreate on the command line what he can do in the GUI:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/22680954/7zip-ultra-lzma2-compression

I have seen you give help of "7z l archive.7z -slt" to compare two 7z, one from CLI and one from GUI, but that wasn't too helpful.

Even looking at some of the examples in the help doesn't really clear things up for me, like this:

7z a -t7z archive.7z .exe .dll -m0=BCJ2 -m1=LZMA:d23 -m2=LZMA:d19 -m3=LZMA:d19 -mb0:1 -mb0s1:2 -mb0s2:3

How does that relate to number of threads, for example? Does -m0 specify to use... something and then -m1 to -m3 spawn 3 threads? And mb0... what? The help text specifies:

"using BCJ2 converter, LZMA with 8 MB dictionary for main output stream (s0), and LZMA with 512 KB dictionary for s1 and s2 output streams of BCJ2"

After reading the help, I still am unclear on it.

If you had, say, a CLI version of what people are clicking on listed at the bottom of the GUI, that would be really helpful. Right now I am using 7-Zip to compress 11 GB SQL backups and trying different permutations with the GUI to get the best balance of speed and size. However, I now realize I'm unsure how to translate all of these settings to the CLI. I did it before with .zip, easy (-mx=9 -mfb=256 -mpass=5 -mem=AES256) but looking at the 7z options it's daunting.

And looking at BCJ2, it's for 32-bit only? So I can't even use it with 64-bit 7-Zip? If I want the best compression, do I need to use the 32-bit version? Confusing.

So blah blah blah, the main request is for the GUI to show a CLI equivalent to what is being selected so it's easier to translate to something like a batch file.

Thanks!

• Igor Pavlov
      Igor Pavlov
      2014-09-03

BCJ and BCJ2 are just filters to compress executables (EXE and DLL files).
      64-bit and 32-bit version provide same compression ratio.
      But 64-bit version allows larger dictionary.

You can change dictionary size (d) and word size (fb) for 7z format:
      -mx9 -md128m -mfb256

• grml4d
    grml4d
    2014-09-08

i just used the 9.34 with some folders and found few things .
    first , if i select a size of X Mo for a multiparts archive and if archive is below this limit , then name is like 7z.001 while the 001 could be deleted...
    second thing , that is about same subject a posts above : when you select memory settings and threads that can go very high , if the total size of files is below the "required memory" , that value will be the maximum memory used .
    so may be you should update 7fm compression window .
    edit : it seems that it can go higher , at least above my 32 Go ram for 16 Go of files , 8 threads 1024M dict...

with lzma2 and multiparts , i have troubles having all core used , is it normal because files are too small ?

Last edit: grml4d 2014-09-08
    • Igor Pavlov
      Igor Pavlov
      2014-09-09

7-Zip scans files and directories later.
      So it doesn't know exact size of files in directories at that stage.
      And if you select high settings for small files. Then later for big files such settings will move your system to swapping.

<< < 1 2 3 > >> (Page 2 of 3)