Zipping and eMailner

Angstromm
2011-01-07
2013-05-10
  • Angstromm
    Angstromm
    2011-01-07

when i attempt to zip and email i get the following error message:

_ Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request._

Outlook is set as default client and I can send other files to it via context menu Send To / Mail Recipient without an issues.

Running Outlook 2007, Win7 64-bit, 7-Zip 9.20 64-bit.

Ideas?

• Daryl  R
    Daryl R
    2011-01-13

I have the exact same problem running Outlook 2007, Win7 64-bit, 7-Zip 9.20 64-bit. Please investigate a fix for this issue. I would like all my users to enjoy the flexibility and low memory footprint of 7zip if possible :)

• Tom
    Tom
    2011-01-15

Hi

I've a problam with Zip and mail also. But I get no error massage.
    7-Zip seems to do only "nothing".

My system: Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit - all updates, Thunderbird V3.1.7 and 7-Zip 9.20

• Angstromm
    Angstromm
    2011-01-24

i don't know if it's good or bad news i'm not the only one. perhaps the powers that be will take notice…

• Angstromm
    Angstromm
    2011-01-30

Anybody?

• Angstromm
    Angstromm
    2011-01-30

just so everyone knows, i tried the Outlook fix on this page

• Angstromm
    Angstromm
    2011-02-09

This is still an issue. Are there any solutions that anyone knows about?

Thanks…

• Humangenom
    Humangenom
    2011-03-21

I have the same problem. I reported it over a year ago. 64bit version on 64bit windows. at that time,
    I can only say that WinRAR 64bit works without any problems. So it must be a bug in 7-Zip.

• Angstromm
    Angstromm
    2011-03-21

Vacon: sorry, I'm a tad confused. Your issue looks to be different form the issue I'm having (what this/my post is about)-I read the links you provided and the big difference I'm getting, assuming I've understood correctly is: I have a left-click 7-zip context menu and you don't. if I'm right about that, i sort of feel like your post here is a bit of hijack and therefore not really helpful to either of us or toward discovering a solutions for our respective problems. If I have it wrong, sorry about that-any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

So, anyone found a solution to my issue?

• Vacon
    Vacon
    2011-03-21

Hello evveryone,

me? Hijacking??? O…k….   o_O
    If you read the posting I linked to above, you will find there a link to a Microsoft forum where people complain about 64-Bit Outlook having big issues with "Mail to…" jobs:
    Quote from posting number seven from there:

I'm running Windows 7 x64 - Office 2010 x64 versions… Everything functions perfectly save for the ever reappearing message telling me "Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request. Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it as the default mail client."

And here from posting eleven from there:

I do not get this error with the 32-bit version.

So the question is -> will Igor have to fix 7-Zip or Microsoft will have to fix Outlook 64-Bit?
    Or did I understandd something wrong?

Best regards!

• Angstromm
    Angstromm
    2011-03-22

Thanks for the response! Yeah, I remember reading those statements but it wasn't clear to me if the conditions under which they (whatever error) occur are solely while trying to access 7-Zip's archival+email context menu item (Compress & email), as is true in my situation,  or under other circumstances as well (like simply starting Outlook). So it occurred to me that your problem and post might be (emphasis on "might," since I don't really know) addressing an altogether different issue. If that's the case, it seems to me that combining our issues only muddies the waters for us both. If, as I've said above, I'm wrong about that, sorry; I just want to be clear and want to understand what about your situation parallels or is the same as mine. And, I apologize if I'm being dense; but I still don't see you mention, either in the quotes you provided nor in your post or the its links any direct references to my particular issue. Perhaps you could spell it out for me, if that's not too much to ask.

• Vacon
    Vacon
    2011-03-22

Hello everyone,

just for the record -> I do not not have *any* problem with 7-Zip :-)
    I try to point people to places where they can find solutions. If there isn't a solution for your problem, well -> bad luck!

Best regards!

• Humangenom
    Humangenom
    2011-03-22

Ok. Again here is my software:
    Win7 x64
    tested with
    Office 2010 x32 and Office 2007
    7-Zip x32/x64 doesn't work
    WinRAR x32/x64 and older versions work.
    I still think there is a problem with 7z because every other software I've tested works.

• Tom
    Tom
    2011-03-23

Hi Guys, here is Tom twice

My system:
    Vista Home Premium 32bit, all updates, an actuall system
    Thunderbird 3.1.9 - updatet now
    7-Zip 9.20 stable

There is no change in work with "compress and mail".
    TB is startet or brought to focus, but no mail will be created!

At the momant i work with ZipGenius - and all works fine.

So I have to say - it is a bug of 7-Zip.

I love OpenSopurce, I would do a donation…
    … but it should work!

• Angstromm
    Angstromm
    2011-03-23

Thanks Tom,

Yeah, I think we're pretty much in agreement that this is a bug in 7-Zip 64-bit edition. And yeah, amazing program and too bad this basic function doesn't work. I'm now zipping then right-clicking on archive to Send To / Mail Recipient. I figure someday, someone will fix this issue.

• Wolverine007
    Wolverine007
    2011-11-15

Solution for Win7 64bit and Office 32bit:
    1. install 7zip 32bit
    2. install 7zip 64bit (for the shortcuts in the context menu)
    3. copy all files except 7-zip.dll from "c:\program files (x86)\7zip" to "c:\program files\7zip" overwrite existing files
    4. zip and mail should work now

BR
    Wolv

• Jimi
    Jimi
    2012-02-03

I've come across this issue as well, firing up procmon it seems to read the reg key that contains the default main client:
    HLKM\Software\Clients\Main\(Default)
    But then for some reason reads the key:
    HLKM\Software\Clients\Main\PreFirstRun
    Which contains the text for the error message. From what I can see, it should only read this key IF the default key is empty, then display the error. So the bug is defiantly with 7-Zip and not Windows or Office or any other mail program.

• Tom
    Tom
    2012-02-04

Hi, Jimi_dd

Thanks for your work and analyse!
    I hope they will check it asap and fix it.
    I'm not a programmer, but an OS enthusiast and power user in some special tools near programming in my job.
    So it was clear for me, that there is a bug in 7-zip.

At least and twice…
    Thanks for your time :))

• David Marjolin
    David Marjolin
    2012-06-01

Hi All

First of All, thanks Wolv for the workaround (posting 18).  I would only like to add that I didnt get ir right following the instructions as the sequence there, but rather had to interchange 1 & 2, i.e. install the 64-bit version first, then install the 32-bit version.  It worked.

Regds

D.

• Malcolm
    Malcolm
    2013-05-10

I followed David's revised instructions and all now working fine.