Menu

serial8250: ttyS0 A little Buggy

Help
2006-11-03
2013-06-11
  • Jeff Sadowski

Jeff Sadowski - 2006-11-03

This driver made its way into the kernel right?

I have an hp compaq nc6000 laptop dmesg shows
    serial8250: ttyS0

Under normal circumstances I have this working correctly.

I can open minicom to most devices but one of the devices I use gives me all sorts of pain.

I have a hp procurve switch 2824 from what I read I am suppose to connect to it at 19200
    sometimes it works like this sometimes it works at 9600 like most switches.

It works spiratically. Sometimes I can get it to display sometimes not.

I have to open up a second terminal interface in order to get anything working it is kind of weird.
    I open up a program "cutecom" and minicom at the same time connected to the device. And sometimes I am able to communicate with it sometimes not.

I also have tried opening up vmware and sharing the serial through it. It seems to have similar results.

My other technician has a similar computer that I believe has the same serial chipset and runs windows and has no problem connecting to the switch.

It is not just this switch that I have these issues with it is most hp devices.

I'll try out the last driver from this sight and maybe an older one too because I don't remember having  these issues before. could it be some differences in compiling with newer versions of gcc?

I'm using FC5
    2.6.18-1.2200.fc5
    gcc version 4.1.1 20060525 (Red Hat 4.1.1-1)

• Ian Abbott

Ian Abbott - 2006-11-07

For 2.6, the old serial driver has been split up into a serial core driver, some UART drivers, and various board/platform drivers.

You're probably better off posting to <linux-serial@vger.kernel.org>. It's also archived on GMANE here: <http://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.serial>.