Buffering from fast network to slow serial

Hillel
2007-01-22
2013-04-01
  • Hillel
    Hillel
    2007-01-22

I would like to use ser2net for making some serial printers available as if with a JetDirect.  There are five serial printers that connect to the PC at 9600bps.  One concern is that if a user sends a large print job, how big of a buffer is there between the faster data comming in off the network to the slow serial port?  Can a large print job overrun this buffer?

• Barry Myles
      Barry Myles
      2007-01-22

Whenever I've sent large amounts of data to a port manged through ser2net there has been a bit of a buffer which I guess corresponds to some sort of hardware buffer in the serial port and then ser2net has just used the normal TCP flow control mechanisms to slow down the rate at which the client is allowed to send the data to it so that it isn't received too quickly.

Try it, especially with a hardware handshaked link it will probably just work.

I've also seen the opposite when a hardware handshaked serial line is sending data faster than a [rather slow] network could cope with. In that case ser2net backed off the serial link with the handshaking lines.