Flash or HTML rendering of Hypergraphs?

Help
ChrisC
2009-12-16
2013-04-30
  • ChrisC
    ChrisC
    2009-12-16

What would be involved with having Flash or HTML/Javascript fall-back versions of Hypergraph graphs for clients which don't have Java?

• Rob Challen
    Rob Challen
    2010-03-23

I think that would be significantly tricky at this point. I've seen a few javascript graph frameworks but none that replicate the hypergraph functionality - there are other equivalent java based frameworks such as treebolic (http://treebolic.sourceforge.net/) but nothing . There is a flash version of the freemind browser and technically it would be possible to use instead of the applet - I'd like to update freemind support to 0.9 but that would involve quite an architectural change. If I can wrap it into some other development then I will. It is possible to use the graphviz output in html and SVG mode only which wil give you a zoomable scrollable map based on the graphviz output, but it is not as visually appealing as the hypergraph output.

• Rob Challen
    Rob Challen
    2010-03-23

P.s. sorry for the late reply!

• ChrisC
    ChrisC
    2010-03-23

Hi, cheers for getting back to me on this, the client I'm working for has some funding for this, if you are interested in discussing this would you like to email me? chris @ webarchitects.co.uk

• David Neale
    David Neale
    2010-03-24

We are using SMW and have experience using the Flare API in Flash that is useful for Hypergraph visualisations. Here is an example of our work on a model visualisation problem: http://www.moxy.com.au/Wiki/index.php/Solar_Model_2009#Model

• Rob Challen
    Rob Challen
    2010-03-26

Are any of your flash visualisers open source? This extension at the moment largely is a way of extracting the data, formatting it into whatever format a java applet (e.g. Freemind/mm or HyperGraph/custom) or external rendering engine (e.g. GraphViz/dot) and then returning the applet or a url to the output. It is possible to use flash plugins in that way (I used to do it with the freemind flash plugin) but I don't have any expertise actually writing the plugins. If you have something that I can pass some data to and does the layout, then I can query the mediawiki to create the data in that form. If it is a standard input format though (like JSON) it might be easier to create a Semantic Result Formats Printer to do that.