Config Writeable: NO

BASE-user
Pete
2007-05-01
2013-06-03
  • Pete
    Pete
    2007-05-01

I have been running BASE for about 6 months and decided to uprage to 1.3.5.  For some reason the links on 1.3.5 did not work correctly so I downgraded to 1.2.7.  I completed the BASE setup correctly and was viewing the graphics until the next morning when I accessed the link I received the setup page which states my config is not writeable.  I double checked my permissions and the web server account is in the group that has full permissions to the /var/www/html/base directory.  I tried deleting the base directory and re-installing 1.3.5 and even 1.2.5 but I keep getting the same config not writeable message.  I tried rebooting the server and even granting apache user rull rights.  The only thing that could have occured is some Redhat Enterprise 4 patches could have been applied but I was told that happend after my problem started occuring.  There have been no changes to the web server configuration.

What else do I need to check?

• Pete
      Pete
      2007-05-01

I receive the following error in my /var/log/messages file:

May  1 09:06:47 localhost kernel: audit(1178024807.359:33): avc:  denied  { write } for  pid=7113 comm="http
      d" name="base-php4" dev=dm-0 ino=1441793 scontext=root:system_r:httpd_t tcontext=system_u:object_r:usr_t tcl
      ass=dir

• Kevin Johnson
        Kevin Johnson
        2007-05-01

Looks like SELinux is preventing the access.

Kevin

• Pete
      Pete
      2007-05-02

That did the trick.  It was SELinux blocking things.  Thanks!!!

• Kevin Johnson
        Kevin Johnson
        2007-05-02

Any time.  We are looking at developing an SELinux policy for BASE, but it hasn't happened yet..... volunteers?

• Erik Peirson
      Erik Peirson
      2009-06-30

"That did the trick. It was SELinux blocking things. Thanks!!!  "

I have the same problem and this is the third post I've found on the subject where it was fixed but without explaining how. How you extrapolated SElinux from that error message is beyond me. I am running as root and checked all permissions and have no idea where to go from here. I swear nothing is more frustrating than seeing someone fix a problem without explaining. /sigh