authentication

BASE-user
DaveF
2008-09-04
2013-06-03
  • DaveF
    DaveF
    2008-09-04

    With base-1.4.1 I am unable to get authentication to work. This was working fine for me in version 1.3.6. This is using both php4 and php5 on a Suse Linux/apache setup.

    I did some sql logging and it issues a search for the usr_name appropriately, but then just reverts back to a screen indicating invalid userid/password.

    I suspect it is some php setting or minor tweak I am missing, but I can't seem to locate it.

    Any help would be great. Without the authentication it seems to work fine. I am using the same data as for version 1.3.6, I even recreated the acid/base tables in the mysql database but no go.

    Dave

     
    • Hello Dave,

      maybe you should start the BASE setup from scratch? I.e, delete the base_conf.php or move it somewhere else. In the course of this setup procedure the base user and base password are stored in the database.

      And check whether all of the tables,
      including the acid/base specific ones
      have sufficient permissions
      (SHOW GRANTS...).

      Finally check the entries in the base_user table (SELECT * FROM base_user;) whether these reflect your expectations.

      Is there anything helpful in apache's error log?
      /var/log/httpd/error_log or similar.

      Bye, bye

      Juergen

       
    • DaveF
      DaveF
      2008-09-07

      Thanks Juergen.

      I created a brand new instance of base, ran the setup to create a new base_conf.php file and still seeing the error. I set tracing on for the database call and checked it, and also ran the query directly against the database with no issues (SELECT * from base_users where base_users.usr_login ='dave';). This is the only sql trace record I have found in the sql trace log.

      I did orignally have an error not having the pear mail/mime apps installed, I installed them and not seeing any apache errors logged.

      Data base permissions for the user are SELECT INSERT UPDATE and DELETE. I tried with full database permissions, and still no go.

      From looking at the code I am wondering if there is an issue with how the password is encrypted, or possibly an adodb incompatibility with my versions of php.

      This does work fine on exactly the same database with base 1.3.6.

      Any suggestions gratefully appreciate.

      Dave

       
    • Hello Dave,

      you are aware that adodb-5.x does
      NOT work with php-4.x, aren't you?

      php-4 requires adodb-4.x,
      and php-5 seems to require adodb-5.x.

      So it would be helpful if you could ensure that you use either php-4.x only or
      php-5.x only, but not both of them at the same time.

      From base-1.3.6 to base-1.4.1 there
      haven been several changes. If these changes are the reason for your problems, then I would like you to
      download and try base versions 1.3.9 and
      1.4.0.

      Bye bye,

      Juergen

       
    • DaveF
      DaveF
      2008-09-15

      Juergen

      I have tried both base-1.4.0 and 1.3.9. Neither one of these work with authentication either, but I am getting some error messages from apache.

      The message is "Call to a member function RecordCount(0) on a non object in /srv/www/htdocs/dave/includes/base_db.inc.php on line 501". This is for version 1.4.0, for 1.3.9 same message, line number is 482.

      In neither case, will the page display after the login attempt.

      Does this help at all?

      Dave

       
    • Hello Dave,

      no, this does not really help. These are known bugs, that should be worked around in BASE-1.4.1.

      So, please stay with BASE-1.4.1 and enable debug mode in base_conf.php.
      Maybe this reveals where the actual problem may be located.

      Bye, bye

      Juergen

       
    • DaveF
      DaveF
      2009-05-12

      Juergen

      I was able to resolve my Base Authentication issue. I am running Suse, and it turns out a few releases back they changed the default settings in the php.ini file for the variable mysql.allow_persistent from on to off. This probably occurred around Suse 10.0 and is the current setting in Suse 11.1, the current version.

      Sorry it took so long to get back to you, my life has been pre-empted by other work.

      Thanks for your help on this, the logging etc help send me in the right direction.

      Dave