Hey, I'm trying to use BASE with MSSQL 2005, on Windows 2003 with IIS. I get the error:
Error (p)connecting to DB : snort@winids
Check the DB connection variables...blah blah
I can logon directly to MSSQL with the BASE username and password and can view and add data to tables. I get data inputted from SNORT into the tables. Here is the relevant output from base_conf.php:
$DBtype = 'mssql';
/* Alert DB connection parameters
* - $alert_dbname : MySQL database name of Snort alert DB
* - $alert_host : host on which the DB is stored
* - $alert_port : port on which to access the DB
* - $alert_user : login to the database with this user
* - $alert_password : password of the DB user
* This information can be gleaned from the Snort database
* output plugin configuration.
$alert_dbname = 'snort';
$alert_host = 'localhost';
$alert_port = '1433';
$alert_user = 'base';
$alert_password = '*********'; #I have obfuscated the password here to protect the guilty
Even if I change the username or password to an incorrect one I still get the same error. I would think this means BASE is not even able to communicate with MSSQL.
MSSQL is listening on port 1433 and as you can see from above I tried forcing the port in BASE, changed the alerthost etc.
I think what is also interesting is that I do not get a more complete error message just a basic one.
Help will be appreciated I promise!
I had this after hours of messing about, I found it doesnt like SQL2005 and the way the default instance is server\SQLEXPRESS
Reinstall sql as the default instance ie no SQLEXPRESS on the end and it will work :)