Problem setting Exam url

Help
techlms
2012-03-27
2013-06-12
  • techlms
    techlms
    2012-03-27

I am trying to install SEB on student's Windows 7 PC and launch an exam by default. I set the Exam Url in sebStarter.ini and didn't change any other settings from default. When I download the zipped file with sebStarter,ini, MsgHook.ini and SebWindowsInstall.msi on the student's pc and ran the .msi file, it installs seb properly, but, when I launch it, it opens up the default seb home page and not the url I set in sebStarter.ini. I double checked the exam url in sebStarter.ini configurations and tried reinstalling, but no luck. Could you please help me with this.

• Dirk Bauer
    Dirk Bauer
    2012-03-28

Hi,

1.) which SEB version do you use?

2.) Assuming it is SEB Windows 1.8.2, did you unzip the downloaded seb_1.8.2_win.zip,
    edit the ExamUrl in SebStarter.ini and then zip the directory again before delivering it to the students?

3.) After unzipping on the student's machine, did the SebStarter.ini contain the correct ExamUrl?

4.) In any case, you can edit the SebStarter.ini in your unzipped directory
    and copy this modified SebStarter.ini in the target directory for the SEB configuration data. This is

under Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ETH Zuerich\SEB Windows 1.8.2
    under Windows 7: C:\ProgramData\ETH Zuerich\SEB Windows 1.8.2

which is described in detail here: http://www.safeexambrowser.org/windows/win_usermanual_en.html

Check on your hard drive if you can see the SebStarter.ini and MsgHook.ini lying in this directory.

So the easiest way is to edit your SebStarter.ini in the unpacked zip directory (which you have already done, I assume), and copy it to the directory mentioned above, overwriting the SebStarter.ini lying there (maybe you will need to enter the admin password to overwrite it). SEB will always get its ExamUrl and other data from this location.

Regards,
    Dirk

• techlms
    techlms
    2012-03-28

Thanks for the reply Dirk.
    I am trying to distribute the installables to students in multiple ways to find out which way suits our needs the best.So,I did install seb multiple times on the windows machine I am trying to install 1.8.2 on now.I never had this problem earlier.

1)I am using seb_1.8.2_win

2)Yes. That's exactly what I did.

3)Yes.

The good news is seb is taking me to the correct exam url from this morning. I tried to understand why it didn't work yesterday and I tried to repeat what I did earlier(using the same zipped file,etc), but strangely the problem didn't reappear. I have tried it multiple times with multiple settings/zipped files, but its working perfectly fine. I wonder if there was something wrong with my system. Thanks for your time. I have a long way to go around seb,So I will keep you posted if I see the problem reappear.

• Dirk Bauer
    Dirk Bauer
    2012-03-28

Hi,

never mind, sometimes I also have a problem which suddenly disappears when trying to reproduce.
    In German, we call this "Vorführ-Effekt" ("demonstration effect") - you want to show a bug to someone and
    suddenly all works well… sometimes also a bug seems to appear in the evening when you are tired
    and disappears next morning :-)

Sometimes there are indeed problems on a certain machine and not on another.
    Maybe the copying of SebStarter.ini to ProgramData was suppressed because the
    installing user had too little rights / privileges on Windows, even though "Run as Administrator"
    should be sufficient to run the SebWindowsInstall.msi file. But you can also log in as an
    administrator and run the installer there, then log out and log in as a standard user
    to use SEB.

Regards,
    Dirk

• techlms
    techlms
    2012-03-28

Thanks Dirk.
    I will try this when I see the problem again. :-)

Off the topic, I am trying to find some way to hide the exam url from students.Off the top of my head, may be by locking down the file someway. Would you please suggest any techniques to hide url? You must have come across this issue or heard of those trying the same.

• Dirk Bauer
    Dirk Bauer
    2012-03-28

Hi,

currently, it is not easily possible to hide the ini file settings. We are working on a version which shall use encrypted ini files, but this will take quite a while. In the meantime, you could encrease the safety of your exam by establishing an empty web portal (html page), enter its URL in your SebStarter.ini and add the link to your real exam to the web portal only shortly before the exam takes place (and remove it shortly after the exam). This way, the students cannot see the exam url weeks before the exam takes place.

Regards, Dirk

• techlms
    techlms
    2012-03-29

Hi Dirk,

I am trying something similar. I have an intermediate page setting a variable and then redirecting to the actual exam page. I specify this intermediate page as the "exam url".In the actual exam, I check for the variable value coming from intermediate page to verify they are using the seb distributed to them.I plan to change the intermediate page urls before the exam. I also verify the browser type using http user agent to verify if it seb. This still has its loop holes.So I am looking for better solutions. I will keep you posted when I find something interesting.

• Dirk Bauer
    Dirk Bauer
    2012-03-29

Hi (what's your name, by the way?),

that's a good idea! We also are working on solutions to these issues,
    aiming at a dignital signature of SEB and its configuration files.
    But currently, I have to fix some issues regarding the installer first.

Regards,
    Dirk

• techlms
    techlms
    2012-03-29

Oh, I missed to mention that. I am Madhuri.
    It was nice talking to you. I wish you good luck with the issues on installer. :)