Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

SEB Mac OS X only works after SEB restart

Help
2013-01-17
2013-06-12
  • I'm testing SEB 2.0pre1 on Mac OS X 10.8.2. The E-Assessment System we use is ILIAS EA.

I have the following problem connecting SEB to our exam server:

After I change the exam URL in the SEB settings and click on restart, SEB restarts and shows me a blank page. If I now open the settings again, make no changes to the exam URL, and click on restart, SEB restarts and shows me the login page to ILIAS EA.

If I now close SEB and start it again, I get the blank page. I have to open settings and click restart, to get SEB to show the login page.

I have tested SEB with other exam URLs, like other websites at our university and Google, and they all work fine. I only have a problem with our exam server.

Since our server uses SSL and there are some intermediary certificates between the server's and the root CA, I tried importing all certificates into the keychain. This didn't seem to make any difference.

I should also point out that I have no trouble reaching the server's login page from Firefox and Safari on the same Mac.

Any ideas as to what is going on?

• Hmm, I think I had a similar problem with a self-signed certificate. SEB MacOSX is suppressing all alerts which are popping up (at least when switching to third party applications is not allowed).

When you try reach the server's login page with Safari (after a restart of the Mac, same user account), is it asking if you want to trust to some certificate? I think I had to press the left button (show details or something similar) and put a check mark to "Always trust". It might then ask for an administrator password.

If you add those intermediary certificates, maybe you have to set "Always Trust" in the "Trust" section when you open the certificate in Keychain Access, something similar like described here. They say there that it should be added to the System keychain, not the login keychain.

If this doesn't help, then I would need to know that exam URL so I could test and debug SEB with it. You could send it to me in a private message.

It's planed that you will be able to add self-signed certificates to the .seb configuration file and SEB would automatically add them to the keychain then, but I didn't prioritize this feature that high.

• Turns out it wasn't the certificate after all.

Our server uses JavaScript to redirect to the login page and I had set Links in JavaScript/plug-ins … to get generally blocked. Once I set that to open in same window it all worked fine.