Help
C. Maten
2012-02-01
2013-06-12
  • C. Maten
    C. Maten
    2012-02-01

Hi,
    I'm currently installing an e-Assessment-scenario on microsoft thinclients with WIndows xpe and SEB 1.8.
    For security reasons i made several changes in the registry of the user account starting seb (disable taskmanger, change userpassword, etc). When i start SEB and quit it, the registryentries i set before are disabled (acces to taskmanager is possible for example).
    How can i force SEB to reset the registry entries to the state before starting SEB?

Thanks for your Help!

• Dirk Bauer
    Dirk Bauer
    2012-02-01

Hello,

yes, due to some interprocess communication problems I encountered during the developing phase,
    I programmed the SebWindowsService to memorise the old registry settings prior to starting SEB,
    but to set it to default values (e.g. admitting Task Manager) when leaving SEB.

But I can easily change the source code (just 1 instruction) to set the registry values back to the
    memorised ones when leaving SEB. I will try to do that and pack a new SEB version,
    and inform you when it is ready.

Regards,
    Dirk

• C. Maten
    C. Maten
    2012-02-02

Hello Dirk,

thanks for your quick answer.
    This sounds very good. What would you think when this could be ready? Or is there a possibillity to do it by myself?

Kind regards,

Cyrill

• Dirk Bauer
    Dirk Bauer
    2012-02-02

Hi Cyrill,

1. Next week (I have to compile and prepare a new release first,
    which also covers some other issues)
    2. No, since you need to be a developer and VisualStudio

Regards,
    Dirk

• C. Maten
    C. Maten
    2012-02-10

Hi Dirk,

are there any News regarding the new release?

Kind regards,

Cyrill

• Dirk Bauer
    Dirk Bauer
    2012-02-13

Hi,

as I announced, I fixed this last week, together with another (more serious
    and time-consuming) bug. I plan to release the new version 1.8.1 this week.

Regards,
    Dirk

• Dirk Bauer
    Dirk Bauer
    2012-02-14

Hi Cyrill,

the new release SEB Windows 1.8.1 is now online, which should fix your problem.

Please uninstall your 1.8 version using

Start > Control Panel > Uninstall a Program (Win 7) or
    Start > Control Panel > Software > Add or Remove Programs or something (Win XP).

Download the new seb_1.8.1_win.zip file from

https://sourceforge.net/projects/seb/

to an arbitrary directory, unzip it, configure the ini files SebStarter.ini and MsgHook.ini
    (or if you copy them from version 1.8, take care of changing version number 1.8 to 1.8.1
    in the last line of MsgHook.ini, otherwise it won't work!) and click on
    SebWindowsInstaller.msi as usual.

The new 1.8.1 version should remember the registry settings valid before starting SEB,
    and restoring them when quitting SEB (at least it worked on my machine).

Regards, Dirk

• C. Maten
    C. Maten
    2012-02-14

Hi Dirk,

thank you very much for your quick help! Now we ca start with our e-assessment configuration.

Thanks for your great work!

Regards, Cyrill

• Excuse my english, I am french
    As I had some problem to uninstall or reinstall (Error 1001), I uninstalled the software and I made a clean up of the regsitry of all keys regarding the software. Since, I still have the same desktop setup like if the software would running. I mean when I do Ctrl+Alt+Del, I only have  a Cancel button, I could not execute task manager from the task bar, and anything else.
    Is there a way to reset as it should be before of install?

• Hi,

I just want let you know that I downloaded the source code and found the batch files to reset the registry keys. I suggest you to implement a way to reset those keys with an application.

• Dirk Bauer
    Dirk Bauer
    2012-04-16

Hi,

the problem is, SEB Windows 1.8.1 _was_ already an application which could be run once more
    to reset all blue screen stuff to the default values (Task Manager is on etc.). Then Cyrill (see above)
    came along and wanted a version to restore the values that were valid before starting SEB.
    This is useful is Task Manager etc. is deactivated even in normal use. So I released SEB 1.8.2
    which restores the values from before starting SEB. But this raises your problem - if something
    went wrong during SEB and SEB crashed, the values remain changed. If you then call SEB again,
    the values cannot be set to default because before starting, they were wrong…. it's kind of a dilemma
    between two different user needs.

I will try to release a version where you can set your choice in the SebStarter.ini
    (whether you want have the default values restored in any case,
    or the values which were on desktop before starting SEB).

But I have lots of things to do at the moment, so in the meantime
    you could use SEB Windows 1.8.1 rather than 1.8.2,
    or download the script RegistryEnableAllBlueScreenButtons.bat from

http://seb.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/seb/trunk/win/SebWindowsPackage/

which should reset the Task Manager etc. to default values.

Regards,
    Dirk