Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Remove SEB from Win XP but functions disabled

Help
2011-08-01
2013-06-12
  • leandrorepolho
    leandrorepolho
    2011-08-01

Hello, i was trying SEB on Windows XP and now i want to remove it completely.

After running the uninstall successfully and restarting the computer some functionality are still not working. For example, when i press CRTL+ALT+DEL all the buttons are disabled. I can't even shut down my computer.

How can i restore my old settings?

• leandrorepolho
    leandrorepolho
    2011-08-01

Found out a solution!

I had to install the software again, then execute the script "\ETH Zuerich\SEB Windows 1.6.1\RegistryEnableAllBlueScreenButtons.bat" and finally uninstall the software again.

It would be nice for the uninstall program to execute this script automatically.

• Dirk Bauer
    Dirk Bauer
    2011-08-02

Hi, you are very clever since you detected this script which I constructed as a workaround for exactly this problem, but have not yet docuented it.. :-)  If SEB crashes, for example, sometimes there the Windows Registry values for Task Manager etc. are not reset. The RegistryEnableAllBlueScreenButtons.bat is for "cleaning up" in those cases. In newer SEB versions, before exiting SEB, the registry values are automatically reset to the default values, but this will not work when SEB crashes before normal exit, I guess. I am currently working on the MS installer anyway, because uninstall sometimes does not properly delete log files, so I will consider your proposal, too. Many thanks for your feedback!

• Dirk Bauer
    Dirk Bauer
    2011-08-02

Hi, I forgot to mention that in these newer SEB versions (1.6 or higher; I think), it should be sufficient to start SEB once again and then directly thereafter exit it using the known shortcut sequence from MsgHook.ini, just as normal. This should reset the registry values properly. Which SEB version do you use?

• Lama H
    Lama H
    2011-10-31

Hello dirkba,

I have installed seb 1.7 but still when I uninstalled it, the registry values were not reset.

Does your script return the values to their default (original values before installation)? or does it set all values to 0/allow ??

My computer is not a personal one, it's on a network and I have asked my admin to install seb, now before I ask them to run this script, I would like to know if the registry values will be all set to allow? Which is not what I would like to have (neither my admin).

Would highly appreciate your help.
    Regards,

Lama

• Dirk Bauer
    Dirk Bauer
    2011-11-01

Hi Lama,

which "script" do you mean? Usually, you uninstall the SEB by opening the "Control Panel",
    and then "Uninstall or change a program". This calls the SebWindowsInstall.msi again but no script.
    Or did you use SebWindowsAdminInstall.bat for an administrative installation?

Furhermore, the registry values for disabling the Task Manager etc. are set when SEB is running, not when it is installed.
    So they should be reset when you quit SEB using F3-F11-F6 etc. Did you experience any problems with that?

Regards,
    Dirk

• Lama H
    Lama H
    2011-11-17

Hello Dirk,

Sorry for the late reply, though I have check the "Monitor this", I didn't receive any notifications.

Anyway, thank you for your reply.
    I have uninstalled SEB using the Control Panel. I was wondering about the RegistryEnableAllBlueScreenButtons.bat if it resets all registry values to allow or to default.

By the way, the registry values were changed when I installed SEB not only when it's running. When I quit SEB, the Task Manager and other options were still disabled. I actually had to look them up in the regedit and change them one by one.

Any advise or idea about how to deal with this. It would be optimal if registry values are changed only when SEB is running.

Thank you,

Lama

• Dirk Bauer
    Dirk Bauer
    2011-11-17

>It would be optimal if registry values are changed only when SEB is running

Yes, and this is exactly the way SEB is implemented. If it does not reset the registry values
    when quitting, probably the SebWindowsService component was not installed or is not running.
    Do you have Windows XP or Windows 7? Please call the Task Manager (if you get it to work…),
    and check if under "Services", a process named "SebWindowsService" is running. It should
    have been automatically started in the background at the end of the MSI installation process.

Regards,
    Dirk

• Sergio Muniz
    Sergio Muniz
    2011-12-14

Hi Dirk,

I've used SEB 1.7 in a recent online exam with my students and many had problems with error 1001, which were mostly resolved (by moving the installation files into a folder near the root C:\ ), but in at least one case the crash during installation did not allowed the student to remove the software later using the system uninstaller.
    In some test case here I was able to replicate the behavior and I managed to remove the SEB after tweaking with the System Registry (using regedit, and clearing the entries for SEB), but this is risky procedure and I'm afraid that most of my students (and particularly the ones that experienced problems) wouldn't know how to do that. In any case, I'd rather no having them even trying it!

So I was wondering if maybe you'd have an automated script, or at least some good advice/suggestions in order to do that in a safe manner??!

In addition, some students were not able to use the escape key-sequence (F3, F11, F6) and basically out of “despair” just rebooted their system, what, of course, caused them troubles later, because now some of the Registry settings had not been cleared.
    In this case, what is the best away of fixing it? 

I thought that maybe they could either run SebStart.exe again and just do the proper way out (which is tricky to some, because they had troubles in the first place), or if it is just a matter of stoping the SEB system service program… is there also a "easy&safe" way to resolve this?

I'd be very thankful if you could get back to me as soon as possible, because our semester is about to finish and now I've got this “angry crowd” of people after me … asking how to fix their systems…. ;o)

Jokes apart, some of them do use their laptops for other professional work and are seriously in trouble now and I feel I need to help them out (somehow), since it was my idea to give it a shot at SEB 1.7.
    Please, don't get me wrong, I find SEB excellent… and most of this problems were because some people failed to follow the detailed instructions of how to use it.
    The overall result of this experience was very good! We had a successful run with about 130 people, and just about 2 - 3% had any type of mildly serious issues.
    Most of them just had problems during the installation (error 1001).

I’m looking forward to hearing from you as soon as possible.

Thanks!
    Sergio.

PS.: I saw you post at:
    https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3406737&group_id=233708&atid=1090685

where you seem to mention a script and some tools that might just resolve this. Where can I find it? Could you send them by e-mail. Please let me know.

• Possibly it could help to re-install the SEB-Service by running the script SebWindowsInstallService.bat.

If it still doesn't work after running that, try to deinstall SEB with the Windows control panel and then you can try a fresh install with the msi-installer.

I guess the script SebWindowsCleanup.bat can be used to reset the wrong Registry settings when something fails with SEB.

Those scripts maybe won't work if you already tried to delete things manually…

I hope Dirk can help further early next week.

• Sergio Muniz
    Sergio Muniz
    2011-12-15

Thank you very much danschlet!
    I'll try your suggestions and if still doesn't work I'll talk to Dirk when he's back…

Cheers!
    Sérgio.

• Welcome. Dirk has written me a mail and told me, that the scripts at the first link are already for the upcoming version 1.8 of SEB. Here are the right for version 1.7:

http://seb.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/seb/tags/win/1.7/SebWindowsInstall/

Looks like here (for SEB 1.7) the script has the name SEBWindowsStartService.bat.

• Sergio Muniz
    Sergio Muniz
    2011-12-15

Great. Thanks!

• Joel Sauerwein
    Joel Sauerwein
    2012-04-01

Sorry, I guess I'm missing something, but someone ran SEB on my laptop.  Why, don't ask me.  (SEB ver 1.8.2 for windows xp).  Well, I can't get my task manager back, or exit windows, etc., or get at the registry entries.  I need my computer for work, and with this lack of functionality I'm not able to use it like I need to.  SO, how do I restore my system?  I've tried just about everything I can find in these forums, and I'm still at a loss.  I'd like an email reply with any needed scripts linked or attached, if possible.  I apologize for my ineptness in this matter, but I really need the help.  Thanks

• Dirk Bauer
    Dirk Bauer
    2012-04-02

Hi,

0.) Go to

http://seb.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/seb/trunk/win/SebWindowsPackage/

and try to download the batch script file "RegistryEnableAllBlueScreenButtons.bat".
    Executing this using "Run as administrator" or logging in as a admin and executing this
    should help restoring the original values. In case you cannot download it, I can e-mail you
    this script or post its contents here:

REG ADD    "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System"   /v HideFastUserSwitching  /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000000 /f
    REG ADD    "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System"   /v DisableLockWorkstation /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000000 /f
    REG ADD    "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System"   /v DisableChangePassword  /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000000 /f
    REG ADD    "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System"   /v DisableTaskMgr         /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000000 /f
    REG ADD    "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v NoLogoff               /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000000 /f
    REG ADD    "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v NoClose                /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000000 /f
    REG ADD    "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v EnableShade            /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001 /f
    REG DELETE "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\Utilman.exe"                            /f

pause

Did this work?

1.) is SEB 1.8.2 still installed? (Control Panel - Add or Remove Programs should display its name in the list then)

2.) do you want to uninstall SEB or have you already tried that? (If this fails or if you deleted SEB files manually,
    this often produces more problems than it solves, so I just ask in advance what the current state of your SEB
    installation is)

3.) Is there a windows service called "SebWindowsService" running? Since your Task Manager does not work,
    you could also check this in the Explorer, go to "Manage…", type in your admin password and check "services".

Regards,
    Dirk

• Joel Sauerwein
    Joel Sauerwein
    2012-04-03

DIrk,
    .Thanks for your help.  I can see that everything is back to "normal."  SEB 1.8.2 is no longer installed, and "SebWindowsService" is no longer running.

Thank you for your assistance.  I've learned a bit in the process

Joel

• govind
    govind
    2012-09-07

There are no files in c:/program files of seb but it is listed in control
    panel
    and in the control panel remove button also missing , now how i uninstall
    it
    Please tell me early
    thanx