Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo
I configured SEB 1.9.1 (final release with bugfix) today and since we use the user agent to restrict access to our exam server I did some testing on what user agent string SEB reports (to whatsmyuseragent.com) depending on different configurations. I got the following results, which are puzzling to me.
Test Case 1: Default user agent configuration. The user agent reported is
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:19.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/19.0 SEB
Test Case 2: After changing the Name setting in seb.ini to Bonn, the user agent reported is
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:18.0) Gecko/20130104 Bonn/2.0
Note that the differences in the two strings go beyond replacing "SEB" with "Bonn". Gecko version and rv also change. Is this behaviour expected?
After talking to one of the developers, I now have the following answer:
Changing seb.ini changes the parameters of the app (which apparently you're not supposed to do) causing the user agent string to be rebuilt, which results in the string from Test Case 2.
If you need to customize the user agent SEB reports you should do so in config.json, which is where the string from Test Case 1 originates.
Here is a description how to change config.json, if you really need it:
SEB 2.0 will use another mechanism to authenticate the SEB browser (application version and settings) used for an exam which is much more advanced and secure than the browser agent string. That feature is already implemented in the preview version SEB 2.0 for Mac OS X and there is a Moodle plugin available. http://www.safeexambrowser.org/macosx/mac_usermanual_v2.0_en.html#ExamPane
Here is a discussion about the feature: https://sourceforge.net/p/seb/discussion/3704033/thread/fdfa588d/#3e72