Problems using Open Office as third party application

SEB 2.0
2014-02-18
2014-05-16
  • Jarle Presttun
    Jarle Presttun
    2014-02-18

When using Open Office Excel equivalent scalc.exe as third party application, it opens fine when clicking on the icon next to the SEB icon (great solution btw with a taskbar!). Also I can go back to SEB, but then when trying to go back to Open Office again, nothing happens.
    This works fine with Sublime Text and Kingsoft Spreadsheets that are the other two apps I have tested.

I wonder if this is could be a problem with other apps, or if this is a Open Office problem.

When opening seb again with another seb file, open office still hangs and is shown when loading the other configuration. Have to kill the open office process using the task manager to get rid of it.
    Have this problem with versions 3.4.1 and 4.0.1.

• I will have to test this with scalc.exe myself I guess (was it actually reproducible?). Did you try to switch between third party applications with Alt+Tab?

• Jarle Presttun
    Jarle Presttun
    2014-02-19

Yes, should happen every time. Happens on both my home and test computer at work with different versions of Open Office.
    I guess its not a big deal, but might be worth checking out if it can be a general problem.
    Alt+Tab is generally not working well with other apps either. Get the app switcher displayed but I often find it hard actually selecting the app I want.

• Jarle Presttun
    Jarle Presttun
    2014-02-26

Eclipse has the same problem. Opens fine the first time, you can go back to the browser but not back again.
    IntelliJ works fine.
    On the same two computers I have tested it on, the app switching works with 1.9.1

Last edit: Jarle Presttun 2014-02-26
  • I didn't had time yet to do more in-deep tests with third party applications as I'm working on a fix for a problem when starting/restarting SEB on Windows 8.1 machines sometimes fails. After solving that I will have a closer look on the third party application problems.

Our internal testing involving several people has started now, so in the next couple of weeks I expect to reach closer to a final 2.0 release (and have to work on the Mac version and more documentation in the meantime).

• I managed to track the problem with some third party applications down to a low code level. The processes of Open Office applications don't behave like regular Windows applications, they don't have a property called MainWindowHandle set. I also think to know why they don't behave like proper applications: They are JAVA applications, same as Eclipse. I know very well why I HATE Java applications...

I will nevertheless try to find a solution anyways and also improve the app chooser to behave how it should.

• This bug isn't fixed yet in the just released SEB 2.0 RC5 version. We analysed the problem and identified its source and are working on fixing it in RC6/the final release version of SEB 2.0. This is the only bug we are aware right now not yet being fixed in RC5.

• Jarle Presttun
    Jarle Presttun
    2014-04-16

Thanks Daniel. You're doing an awesome job! Look forward to doing some testing on RC5.

• This problem is solved in the just released RC6.

Java applications (like OpenOffice) can now be used as permitted processes, but require specific settings: The title of their main window must be defined in settings Applications pane in the field Permitted Processes -> Identifier (for example „OpenOffice Calc“), the required main executable in Permitted Processes -> Executable („scalc.exe“) and the process which is actually handling the main window in Permitted Processes -> Window Handling Process(es) („soffice.bin“). For this example the executable path should be entered as „program“ in Permitted Processes -> Path, as that is the relative path to the main executable from the OpenOffice main directory, which is registered in Windows App Paths.

To find the window handling processes for other Java and similar applications you will have to use the task manager, try-and-error and probably other tools. Maybe our Windows developer Pascal can help in case you won't find the right process.

• Jarle Presttun
    Jarle Presttun
    2014-05-16

Tested it now. OpenOffice is now usable. Alt+Tab doesn't work when switching btw the question and OpenOffice, but when clicking on the icon on the task bar, you can continue where you left. So the alt+tab is a minor issue here IMO as the workflow works.
    Thanks!
    Will do a Eclipse test later.

• How does Alt-Tab not work, describe it closer (or send screenshots). In our tests it worked perfectly, same as with a non-Java third party application. Did you use exactly the settings for the permitted process as I described? Are you using another version of OpenOffice (we took the latest one from a few weeks ago). Maybe you can send me your .seb file.

• Pascal Wyss
    Pascal Wyss
    2014-05-16

Hi Jarle

What did you enter in the identifier-field of the permitted process for openoffice?
    Try "OpenOffice".

• Jarle Presttun
    Jarle Presttun
    2014-05-16

I just got it presented, I'll get the one who tested it to post more info here. How it looked what that open office appeared in the alt+tab menu (all fine), but nothing happened when selecting it.

• Jarle Presttun
    Jarle Presttun
    2014-05-16

Just got feedback that it works if adding permitted process identifier "OpenOffice", just like Pascal mentioned. When I saw it, it was blank (so the instructions above wasn't followed)