This problem does not exists without SEB dot-net application, as we have run in the SEB bundled XULRunner directly using the command "C:\Program Files (x86)\SafeExamBrowser\SebWindowsBrowser\xulrunner\xulrunner.exe" ..\xul_seb\seb.ini"
We have modified the seb.ini to point to our canvas LMS url and everything works well. We have tested both the SEB version 2.0 and version 2.0.1 which has XULRunner 31 but both are still same problem.
What is the best way to debug this issue with SEB dot-net app and XULRunner?
Once again thank you for the application and any input to resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your bug report and the qualified information. We're investigating this issue, looks like it's the second report for this problem, unfortunately the first one was not giving us enough information to follow up on it ( http://sourceforge.net/p/seb/discussion/3704033/thread/9dfd9774/?limit=25 ).
Maybe the debug log of XULRunner would give us more information: In SEB 2.0 for Windows you can just add the parameters -debug 1 and -jsconsole as arguments to the xulrunner.exe process, in SEB Config Tool -> Applications -> Permitted Processes in the Arguments list (press + to add new argument). Then the seb XULRunner browser will be started with the debugging features you might know from Firefox. You could send us that log output.
Another way would be if you even could create a testing account in your LMS in which our browser developer could log in and try to debug it himself.
You can also contact me with a private message.
Thank you for the response. I have sent you a private message with login details and also log from our debugging of the Websocketserver.
Please take a look at it and let me know your findings.
I tried your test exam and in both SEB 2.0 and 2.0.1 I didn't get any error messages and also I didn't realize any slowdown. Does this test exam show the same problems on your machine(s) like your real test? Can you confirm that please, because when we cannot reproduce the problem, we cannot find the reason.
First accept my sincere apology for the late reply as i did not get a chance to work on the SEB project due to other workloads.
Thank you for taking time to investigate the issue. I have debugged the issue after reading your message today and it is happening on my development machine that have InstallShield Professional 2014 and Visual studio 2012 installed.
I have tested SEB in few of our windows thin client machine without any issue. I assume it make be something with my development machine but have not got time to debug it. I will update if i found anything interesting on it.
Once again thank you for your help.