Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Why Seashore?

2004-11-25
2013-06-05
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • I am glad to see this project in place. In the near future, I hope to be able to contribute to it. For now, I have a suggestion. The next version of the OS X (10.4-Tiger) will have Core Image technology. I would love to this project transition to the use of Core Image. That would open a world of possibilities since any Core Image units developed would be instantly available to the application. It would also free up development time to focus on making better usage tools and workflow.

• Mark Pazolli
    Mark Pazolli
    2004-11-28

Thanks for your support everyone.

I hope Seashore will support CoreImage when Tiger comes along - but it depends on the enthusiasm of the developers (myself included) and the technology itself.

Mark.

• OpenSource software for Linux or other platforms typically lacks a LOT in the usability department, gimp is no exclusion... they need to polish their interface a fair bit before its usable (this is coming from a graphics designer that has worked with it for over 2 years!). Just porting the gimp would be no better than Photoshop, but this can easily become a better product! I was just scribbling around it and realized how much smoother it is, how much more fun it is to draw with than Photoshop. Here's to a great start! *Cheers*

• sorry for my english!

Great work, I really appreciate and agree with all the ideas seashore is based on.

Keep going on!!!

Carlo Sgarzi, Italy.

• Impatiently waiting for further versions as seashore keeps improving! Thanx for your work.

BTW, any news about Wacom tablet support?

• Cocoa Image Editor!  Why Else!? Look at the Omnigroup and Stone Studio, now consider how Seashore might fit into that group.  Wow.   The guys at Pixen have a very very niche market they're looking into, I do like somethings about their interface more than Seashore's but, thier goals are not your goals.   TIFFany is End of Lifed.   who's going to take it's place?  Teal, BluTulip.... Seashore?  We shall see If Teal wants to stay a "paint" program.. well, then that's a different thing.   Gimp is great.   It is, however, not cocoa.   It is, however, very slow.   It is, however, not as refined as Photoshop.  Gimp is powerful, yes, has very powerful tools, yes.  But running in the X11 environment, is like running a program on an emulator.  Looks professional (even looks like it would be a great Cocoa app), but, feels amatuerish, in it's speed... and sometimes performance.   Tweeking to the nth degree is fine.  But, when i'm working on a peice in Gimp and have to finish it in Photoshop.. well, you understand.

• Just wanted to say I have been using Seashore for a couple months now and I like it alot. I like it because it is NOT Gimp. Gimp though having professional tools is not easy to use at all and really doesn't even follow what I would think to be common-sense ways of accessing tools and options. It was really something I couldn't get used to. Seashore for what I want to do is coming along nicely. Coming from the old days with Deluxe Paint 4 on my Amiga when I was a kid to using several versions of JASC PaintShop Pro on my PC, Seashore is the closest thing to be "easy to use and easy to understand". There have of course been somethings that I find difficult or lacking, but I have submitted many of those in feedback forms and I eagerly await new versions. Please keep up the great work.

-Josh D.

• Mark Pazolli
    Mark Pazolli
    2005-01-14

Thanks everyone again for the positive feedback.

I have just submitted basic plug-in support to the CVS which opens up the possibility for cool effects in subsequent versions of Seashore.

Mark.

• Thanks Mark...

• I left a post on the features thread which may be better posted here. Seahorse is very easy for me to use and I am hoping that I can keep it a simple and fast program for painting.  Thank You!

• Okay... let me nill some things.  First of all, if any of you have used Gimp 2.3.2 on OS X panther recently, you'll notice it is a heck of lot better, and the developers have fixed the majority of the issues some of you have complained about.

On the other hand... it's as bulky as photoshop... and most everyone knows that the just as the majority of tools in MS Word 2004 you never use, the majority of the tools in Photoshop CS you never use.  Seashore has the ability of adding  4 or 5 tools, tweaking the features already present, and adding a built in FTP program for downloading and then uploading the pictures just modified directly to a server.  That's all in one convenience.  Also, Seashore, while it's young, can incorporate features of disabling group effects/specific tools on later startups to keep the program running quick and efficient on older computers even when it does eventually get bogged down with effects as every good image editing program does at some point.  All in all, as young as Seashore is, it simply has a potential that older programs like Photoshop and Gimp almost are missing altogether in as old as they are.

• I am using Seashore as my primary image editor for my web site.

As for CoreImage Support, I'd rather it implemented as a plugin and not an integral part of the application. I'm running on a 12" 600 MHz G3 iBook, and I would upgrade to a faster iBook before I upgraded to Tiger.

I'd rather the empty space was taken out of the palettes first, to save space.

Steve Taylor

• Space saving .... dynamically scalling palattes.... might be the answer....  a rotation tool in a pallate might be nice !!  coolness

• No way in hell am I waisting my time and HD space on X11 tools. To me, Seashore is the ultimate picture editor for Mac.

• Besides GIMP is a really stupid name.

Honestly, emulating X11 under MACOSX is a stupid thing.

• I miss the "effect" that MacPaint had on me (especially next to MS Paint). Fingers crossed your project will give a little of that feeling back to graphics creation on the Mac platform.

Keep up the great work!

• I'm not a designer and use SeaShore for basic image editing tasks I stumble across. Including goofy stuff like party flyers. SeaShore is sometimes challenging has never let me down so far - it's amazing how far you can go with just layers and alpha-channel ;)

Please bring more basic editing stuff, these "tablet pressure sensitive paintbrush" requests are ridiculous (I'm serious).

Good job!

• Hm...Seashore is great, and Gimp is great. Just different, no?

BTW: X11 on OS X is not emulated. It's just a different video framework running along the standard  OS X one.

And, yes, this can be discomforting for a Mac (or Windows) user...

• Hi, did you realize the PRICE-project on http://price.sourceforge.net/ ?
    May be it is possible to share development ressources and so speed up development if you work together with the PRICE developers and community! :-)

• Seashore has recently been featured at Freemacware.com - http://www.freemacware.com/seashore/ - just thought youse would like to know.  :)

• Gimp is so ugly and idiosyncratic that its unusable on all platforms. This is a necessary project. But Apple should never have gotton rid of MacPaint.

• This is a great paint brush replacement and a slow photoshop killer.

All of us need a good simple paint brush program like the one in windows for mac os x.

Seashore fits that need to the dot, and slowly we can handpick features from gimp, that making the product , an asset to os X.

This is very good to gimp, as most mac users are turned away from gimp fink installations, mine was a disaster till i found seashore.

Please continue the good work and fine tune it for mac os x.

Great work, and please put up a donation page.

Thanks

Prakash

prakash123 at gmail

• I was a hard core photoshop artist, then moves to sea shore.  I never used GIMP, nor I do not think I need to, since the seashore looks and feels like gimp so I heard, also it looks and feelss like MS paint..  but I love it, this seems a lil better then adobe photoshop elements even...

I want something simple, easy and free... and lightweight... I will enjoy the use of this here program... I love everything, I might try gimp someday but then I will think if I go to sea shore then it is my perogative...

• Hi! Just dropping a note to let you know that Seashore is great! I am not a designer, but use it extensively to crop-resize-make-that-small-fix-and-save work on my blog... there is space for improvment, of course, but the current version is just fine. Keep up!

• I just found Seashore last night and it's the app I've been looking for ever since I switched back to the Mac a year or so ago.

I am an independent film producer so most of my work is done in Final Cut but often I need an image manipulation app to make some tweaks to a frame here or there or to work up some photos for the web, etc.  Back in the day I used an app called "ColorIT!" on my IIsi and ever since I've longed for a powerful but clean paint/image editing program.

In the meantime I've used Photoshop, GIMP, etc. but they lacked the elegance of the paint programs of yore.  I'm sure that if I was a professional photographer instead of a filmmaker I would appreciate those applications more, but this app is exactly what I need.

As a developer I can appreciate the "fresh" approach and your lack of desire to "adapt" the GIMP for this purpose.  I think a plug-in approach is ideal to extend the functionality so the core app can remain simple (and stable) and additional features can be added as needed by individual users.

Keep up the good work and let us know how we can help.

Jason

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)