From: Philipp Klaus Krause <pkk@sp...> - 2011-09-03 13:43:46
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
The z180 branch is a new branch to create a Z180 port. This is the plan
for the z180 port:
0) Create basic port that just emits Z80 code (the Z180 is
1) Create Z180 simulator for the regression tests.
2) Merge branch.
3) Emit Z180-specific instructions, such as mlt for multiplication and
tst for more efficient code.
4) Have a look at support for the bankswitching hardware in the Z180.
The td-newheur branch has been deleted. My ideas for speeding up the new
register allcoator that I wanted to try in there turned out to make no
The stack-compact branch, intended to experiment with ways to reduce
stack space consumption, is progressing again. This is the current
- - Block-based allcoator: Works (all ports), fast, better than the
current one when using aggregate types or unions, never worse than the
- - Chaitin-style: Incomplete, works partially on the Z80, on the few
smaples where I tried it, it reduces stack space usage by local
variables between 0% and 25% compared to the block-based one.
- - Tree-decomposition-based allocator: Currently the situation is the
same as with the Chaitin-style allocator.
The main part missing in the Chaitin-style and tree-decomposition-based
allcoator is handling of aggregates, unions and variables that have
their address taken; this will need some live-range analysis for these
variables. The tree-decomposition-based allocator still lacks some
advanced features that potentially further reduce stack-space consumption.
I intend to have something ready for merge in the stack-compact branch
by the end of the year.
Probably it will be the block-based allocator, since it just works with
no modifications to ports and either the Chaitin-style or the
tree-decomposition-based allcoator, depending on how they perform on
benchmarks once completly implemented.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.11 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----