sdas8051 User manual

Help
2010-02-26
2013-03-12
  • Howard Walker
    Howard Walker
    2010-02-26

Hi, I am new to SDCC and am trying to port a project from an old IAR compiler/assembler to SDCC.  I have managed to convert most of the C files but I can't find anywhere any information on the sdas8051 file syntax.  Is there any documentation for this part of SDCC ?

Thanks.

• Borut Ražem
    Borut Ražem
    2010-02-26

sdas8051 is actually a slightly modified asxxxx version 2.0. The documentation is included in the sdcc-doc package. You can also use the original asxxxx documentation from http://shop-pdp.kent.edu/ashtml/asxxxx.htm, but you have to be careful: the html documentation is for asxxxx v5.0. The asxxxx v2.0 documentation is included in asxxxx v2.0 package.

Borut
    Borut

• Howard Walker
    Howard Walker
    2010-03-01

Thanks Borut, that was exactly what I was looking for.
    I can't find anything like this in the standard documentation for SDCC and the http references point to non-existent locations.

In your modified version, is it possible to use C pre-processor directives such as #if, #then & #endif, as well as .if, .then & .endif, as this would allow me to make the assembler file compatible with various tool-chains.

The files I am converting also use macros, are you going to implement this feature from asxxxx V5 ?

Regards

• Borut Ražem
    Borut Ražem
    2010-03-01

The sdas synchronization with asxxxx v5.0 is in progress,  but I'm not sure if it will be finished and included in the sdcc 3.0.0 release.

Borut

• Howard Walker
    Howard Walker
    2010-03-01

That's good to know.

Unfortunately I think that there are too many issues for me to be able to make the asm file "assembler independent".  For IAR the directives do not start with a . or a # and the number format for hexadecimal is 07FH not 0H7F, and in macros the parameters do not have to be pre-defined in the macro definition, they can simply be replaced in the macro with \0, \1, etc.

However, well done on such a great free product.
    Howard