Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

(--stack-auto) on MCS51

Help
perrystg
2008-05-11
2013-03-12
  • perrystg
    perrystg
    2008-05-11

My programs tend to have a large number of small functions. With the default settings I find that this is consuming a lot of RAM (function parameters and local variables) so changing compiler and linker options to  (--stack-auto) seems to solve the problem nicely.

But now I’m worried about the stack? I can review my program manually and estimate worse case stack usage, but … is there a better way?

Also, am I missing something else about (--stack-auto) usage ?

I’m using small memory model on MCS51 type CPU. All large data items are declared __xdata so i have 208 bytes available for stack. The program uses floating point and also I intend to use the math.h functions.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
    Perry.

• Maarten Brock
      Maarten Brock
      2008-05-12

You could run the program in the simulator or on your target and check IRAM afterwards. On startup it was cleared to zeroes so the highest non-zero must heve been used on the stack. This can only give some statistical data however and not an absolute answer. Unfortunatley SDCC cannot build a calling tree to determine necessary stack space.

Maarten