Learn how easy it is to sync an existing GitHub or Google Code repo to a SourceForge project! See Demo

Close

No snapshots in 2007

2007-01-04
2013-03-12
  • Steven Borley
    Steven Borley
    2007-01-04

The snapshot updates have stopped (http://sdcc.sourceforge.net/snap.php). None since Dec 31st 2006.  Despite a significant activity in the change logs.

Hope they reappear soon :-)

Regards,
    Steven

• Maarten Brock
      Maarten Brock
      2007-01-05

Steven,

So do we. We cannot reach the Compile Farm and the Sourceforge team is on holiday until today.
      See http://sourceforge.net/docs/A04

Maarten

• Steven Borley
      Steven Borley
      2007-01-06

Maarten,

I guess that this is the relevant bit...

( 2007-01-05 14:36:03 - )   On 2007-01-01 we had a power spike that disabled several compile-farm servers. Because of this, access to the compile farm is not currently working.

That I can relate to. We've had are fair share of these over the last few weeks - and lost some kit as a result.

Looking at the ChangeLog, you, Bernhard and Borut seem very active at the moment, as well as others (Jesus, Raphael, Frieder,...) earlier.  I seen some significant improvements introduced over that last few months, so I just cannot wait for the next release!

Good luck, Fortune and Enjoyment for the new year to all the Developers. Thank you for SDCC.

Regards,
      Steven

• Steven Borley
      Steven Borley
      2007-03-12

I see the snapshots for some platforms (but notably not MacOS X) have restarted.  How is this happening, as I though SourceForge had discontinued the Compile Farm that was originally creating the snapshots? (See http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=665365\).

Is this just a temporary blip, like someone started up the compile farm before dismantling it, or have Source Forge had an unpublished change of heart?

Most importantly for me, is there any chance of getting the MacOSX snapshots?

If this is just a fortuitous but temporary blip and the compile farm access is going away for good, is there any other solution that could give up automatic snapshots?  Any plans, or thoughts?

Regards,
      Steven

• Erik Petrich
      Erik Petrich
      2007-03-13

The snapshots are now running on SDCC's own "compiler farm" at my house. At the moment there's only the one x86_64 server running, but there's also a Sun UltraSPARC standing by, waiting for me to have a free weekend. At that point we will be able to at least verify that the compiler works correctly on both big and little endian architectures as well as 32-bit and 64-bit architectures.

Unfortunately, that won't help with creating precompiled binaries for MacOS X. The only Mac I have doesn't use a PowerPC processor (and it's not one of the newer Intel based systems either), so it may be awhile before we get the MacOS X snapshots running again. Occasionally the local university auctions off some older computer hardware; if I find a good deal on a suitable Mac I'll add it to the collection, but I can't offer any prediction as to when this might happen.

• Steven Borley
      Steven Borley
      2007-03-13

Erik, that's really good news.  The loss of the SourceForge compile farm and SDCC snapshots was, in my opinion a tragedy.   Although this does not help me, or other Mac OSX users, it does get at least some of the snapshots back on line.

I have a number of PPC machines here and might even be able to find a dedicated box (albeit quite old). Is there any way I could help from a distance?  I've no idea what this would involve, but is it physically possible, or do you need all the machines at one location?

Regards,
      Steven

• Maarten Brock
      Maarten Brock
      2007-03-14

Steven,

I'm not the expert, but I don't think they need to be all at one location. I think that what's needed is a machine with OSX, permanently connected to the internet with at least SSH access for the developers. It would be very welcome if the installed compiler/linker could generate both PowerPC and Intel code.

For more information see also the SDCC developer mailing list.

Maarten