function parameters pic14 problem

Jorus
2006-10-03
2013-03-12
  • Jorus
    Jorus
    2006-10-03

Hi,

I try to manage an lcd to work with my pic 16f84a. So I writed a function named lcd_send_char :
    static void lcd_send_char(unsigned char charToSend);

This function works perfectly. But when I use an other function named lcd_write_string :
    static void lcd_write_string(unsigned char stringToSend[17]) {
    for(i=0;i<16;i++) {
      lcd_send_char(stringToSend[i]);
    }
    }

It doesn't work the parameter has not the right value. I call the function like this :
    static unsigned char bonjour[17] = "hello baby !!!"
    static void main() {
    lcd_write_string(bonjour);
    }

But if I use directly bonjour in the lcd_write_string function, it works...

Did I do something wrong ?

Thanks in advance.
    Jorus

• mlynki
      mlynki
      2006-10-03

I guess this isn't much SDCC-related. Anyway, try

static void lcd_write_string(unsigned char *stringToSend) { ... }

and static unsigned char *bonjour="...";

You should pass pointers, not entire arrays, as function parameters.

• Raphael Neider
      Raphael Neider
      2006-10-04

I cannot reproduce your problem with SDCC r4399; the .asm looks good (once I added a "char i;" in lcd_write_string). If your problem still occurs in a recent SDCC snapshot, please post more information (SDCC version/revision, compileable source to demonstrate your problem. You may want to file a support request and attach the required files or mail them to me directly rather than posting them here...

Please also obey mlynki's hints.

Regards,
      Raphael

• Jorus
        Jorus
        2006-10-08

Hello all,

With sdcc r4400, the problem is the same. I tried to pass a 'unsigned char' (not a pointer) to my function 'lcd_write_string' and so to display the first character 16 times (the length of a lcd line). It works. So the problem is not in the loop.
        I tried to use a function local pointer on the char array to display but it doesn't work. So it is not only a passage parameter problem, but it seems that there is a pointer problem somewhere. But where ?
        Tecodev, I send you by mail my source code (lcd.c and lcd.asm). Did you received them ?

Thanks
        Jorus

• Raphael Neider
          Raphael Neider
          2006-10-10

Yes, I did get your files and found two problems:

(1) You are pretty much out of memory.
          From the .map file, I gather that you have exactly one byte of memory available...

(2) There is memory where SDCC puts the stacks, which is used for passing arguments around...
          One (byte of the ) argument(s) is passed in W---that's why your firt two examples passing only a char work fine.
          Passing pointers requires to put 2 bytes on the pseudo "stack" (usually a sharebank register region). For the 16f84a, the stack is magically pinned to 0x70..0x7F; these memory cells read as 0 on the 16f84a, so you were bound to get queer results.

This is actually a compiler bug, but even a manual worksaround (moving the sharebank allocated for the pseudo stack in the .asm file) does not work; you simpy have no memory left to place it!

Sorry for the bad news,
          Raphael Neider

PS: The location and size of the pseudo stack can now be defined via --stack-loc=0x40 and --stack-siz=16 arguments to SDCC; new in SDCC r4405.

• Hi Raphael,

there seems to be a problem with passing the argument. Why is the '=' required?

'Old' (2.6.1 #4378) versions of SDCC would silently accept the argument without '=':

sdcc -mpic14 -p16f84a --stack-loc 0x40  main.c

whereas #4405 would barf:
            -:0: warning 119: don't know what to do with file '0x30'. file extension unsupported

Likewise the 'old #4378' version would barf on the new syntax with the '='

-:0: warning 117: unknown compiler option '--stack-loc=0x30' ignored

Shouldn't the 'old' syntax be kept?

• Raphael Neider
              Raphael Neider
              2006-10-10

> Why is the '=' required?
              Because I am a fool... I just looked at the way arguments were parsed in the pic14 port and hacked my own approach; though SDCCmain.c already provides a much nicer way for getting int arguments.
              Additionally, I did not recognize the name-clash between the new pic14 args and existing mcs51 args...

> Shouldn't the 'old' syntax be kept?
              Yes, it should.

Thanks for your quick report.

Essentially reverted to previous version, implemented again using existing code and committed as r4408.

• Jorus
            Jorus
            2006-10-11

Hello Raphael,

[quote]Sorry for the bad news,[/quote]
            Oh no, the bad news is to not know ! :D

Thanks for your help. Sometimes I forget that I am on a little friendly µcontroller. And it don't have 1 Go of memory ! :D

Now I will see what I can reduce in my code. If I am able to make it works, I will provide a return on my experience.

I am very grateful to you for your assistance.

Bye
            Jorus

• Jorus
      Jorus
      2006-10-04

Hi,

First thanks your help.
      In my code, 'i' is global, it is why you don't see it in my function. But I can try to make it local
      I use the SDCC r4390. I will upgrade to r4399 tonight.
      I tried the mlynki solution but with no success.
      So if I always have the problem after updating to r4399, I will send you by mail my files.

Thanks again
      bye
      Jorus